Latest Mac OS X beta build

Download and discuss official beta builds here

Re: Latest Mac OS X beta build

Postby mfoord » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:34 pm

I'm using the purlpleskunk 131 build (Mac OS X Lion on a Mac Pro). So far it is basically working very well - so thanks to all!

I still get some "buffering" or "stuttering", even with Java heap set to 2048M (I have 10G overall memory and transcoding is set to use 6 of the 8 cores). This is to a PS3 where both the Mac Pro and the PS3 are on a wired connection.

I am *still* getting the last few seconds of media files chopped. (Primarily H264 encoding in mkv containers.) The movie plays up until about 8 seconds short of the end and then stops. A minute or two later it may play another few seconds.

I'm using the x86_64 build, from the Lion SDK. 2011-08-07 (increased max heap size). I manually edited the info.plist to increase the Java heap.
mfoord
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:24 pm

Re: Latest Mac OS X beta build

Postby tin » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:49 pm

mfoord wrote:I'm using the purlpleskunk 131 build (Mac OS X Lion on a Mac Pro). So far it is basically working very well - so thanks to all!

I still get some "buffering" or "stuttering", even with Java heap set to 2048M (I have 10G overall memory and transcoding is set to use 6 of the 8 cores). This is to a PS3 where both the Mac Pro and the PS3 are on a wired connection.

I am *still* getting the last few seconds of media files chopped. (Primarily H264 encoding in mkv containers.) The movie plays up until about 8 seconds short of the end and then stops. A minute or two later it may play another few seconds.

I'm using the x86_64 build, from the Lion SDK. 2011-08-07 (increased max heap size). I manually edited the info.plist to increase the Java heap.


Did changing the heap size result in a noticeable change from the average 50MB buffer limit?
tin
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:59 am

Re: Latest Mac OS X beta build

Postby Raptor399 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:29 pm

tin wrote:
mfoord wrote:I still get some "buffering" or "stuttering", even with Java heap set to 2048M (I have 10G overall memory and transcoding is set to use 6 of the 8 cores). This is to a PS3 where both the Mac Pro and the PS3 are on a wired connection.


Did changing the heap size result in a noticeable change from the average 50MB buffer limit?

It ought to result in far less messages "Could not allocate..." and the buffer should grow more easily from its 50 MB starting point than in the default 768M Java heap situation.
Raptor399
Project Member
 
Posts: 1916
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:06 am

Re: Latest Mac OS X beta build

Postby mfoord » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:00 pm

tin wrote:Did changing the heap size result in a noticeable change from the average 50MB buffer limit?


I changed the heap size from 1024M (I think - pretty sure it wasn't 768 which I was expecting) to 2048M in info.plist. It did seem to result in *less* stuttering, but not *none*.

Which buffer is only 50MB by default?
Last edited by mfoord on Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mfoord
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:24 pm

Re: Latest Mac OS X beta build

Postby mfoord » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:02 pm

An additional issue. On one movie, seeking was jumping me to random locations! I'll try with another (wife currently watching Lovefilm so can't try right now...).
mfoord
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:24 pm

Re: Latest Mac OS X beta build

Postby Raptor399 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:26 pm

mfoord wrote:
tin wrote:Which buffer is only 50MB by default?

Transcoding buffers initially start with 50000000 bytes (see BufferedOutputFile, line 42 and 179). Once that number of bytes is reached, an attempt will be made to grow the buffer to the maximum memory size that was configured in PMS (different from the Java heap size).
Raptor399
Project Member
 
Posts: 1916
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:06 am

Re: Latest Mac OS X beta build

Postby lobo85 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:57 am

In both 1.30.1 and 1.31.0 ssa/ass subtitles are broken, when I am transcoding a mkv I get a "This data is corrupted" message from the PS3. I'd appreciate any help that I can get.
lobo85
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:52 am

Re: Latest Mac OS X beta build

Postby mfoord » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:16 am

Raptor399 wrote:Transcoding buffers initially start with 50000000 bytes (see BufferedOutputFile, line 42 and 179). Once that number of bytes is reached, an attempt will be made to grow the buffer to the maximum memory size that was configured in PMS (different from the Java heap size).

Thanks.
mfoord
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:24 pm

Re: Latest Mac OS X beta build

Postby tin » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:27 am

Changing the heapsize from 1024MB to 2048MB in the info.plist file didn't raise the 50MB buffer limit. Any other ideas?
tin
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:59 am

Re: Latest Mac OS X beta build

Postby Raptor399 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:56 am

tin wrote:Changing the heapsize from 1024MB to 2048MB in the info.plist file didn't raise the 50MB buffer limit. Any other ideas?

I've made some changes in r800 that will help.
Raptor399
Project Member
 
Posts: 1916
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:06 am

PreviousNext

Return to Beta Builds

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests