Any alternatives to PS3 mediaserver?

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Re: Any alternatives to PS3 mediaserver?

Postby taconaut » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:49 am

Xmantium wrote:It uses xbmc library style to search all your media through online databases to catalog your media, it's genius! For Linux user they provide much more support by providing a very cool web UI console.

For the record, pms-mlx also let's you organize your library. I'd love to have a more evolved webUI for pms as well; started some work to allow this.
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby Xmantium » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:36 pm

Don't get me wrong PMS is still a brilliant server. I do hope this feature can be used in official PMS build. Just after using Serviio I felt PMS was lagging behind in new features.
PMS Running on QNAP TS-639 Pro Linux Server, 1.2 DualCore Intel, 12TB RAID5 HDD
Xmantium

Postby dubz » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:44 am

there is no better program to use.. i almost guarantee this.. What else can you ask for?? Fuck it plays MKVs just fine and subtitles.. only thing it doesn't do YET is cinavia.. They just released 1.30.1 not to long ago. Be patient this shits free, we are lucky.. i'd make everyone pay for it**
dubz

Postby Val Killmore » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:04 am

dubz wrote:there is no better program to use.. i almost guarantee this.. What else can you ask for?? Fuck it plays MKVs just fine and subtitles.. only thing it doesn't do YET is cinavia.. They just released 1.30.1 not to long ago. Be patient this shits free, we are lucky.. i'd make everyone pay for it**

But I can see some people's points, as lately, all I get when ever I use the newer releases, is "data corrupt" type errors. With files that are all previously 'proven'.

I even keep other servers on my PC. I have Wild Media Server, and TVersity, and though they don't compare, they sometimes play a file that PMS can't.

That being said, ever since reverting back to the Magma edition, with updated mEncoder/mPlayer pretty much everything but iTunes works consistently.
Val Killmore: Potato Chip Assassin
SubJunk53--Java 7u4--Acer Aspire 6930 2CoreDuo @ 2.00 GHz 3.00 GB RAM serving to : PS3 Slim -- 2 Xbox360
Val Killmore

Postby marco275 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:35 am

Val Killmore wrote:all I get when ever I use the newer releases, is "data corrupt" type errors. With files that are all previously 'proven'.

That's why they are called beta's, if you don't want to have things "broken", stay with the official build.
The other servers you mention are all stable builds and they don't give out (as many) beta's you can test.
I checked out Serviio a couple of days ago, just to see if it would play that certain file PMS would't..
Serviio wouldn't even start up and gave me an internal server error, and that was an stable build.
marco275

Postby Xmantium » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:21 am

Try the new build 0.6, there's iPlayer support and very stable!

I've made a comparison for qnap users of my experience of my usage of both servers
http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=252&t=47412
Xmantium

Postby Val Killmore » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:55 pm

marco275 wrote:
Val Killmore wrote:all I get when ever I use the newer releases, is "data corrupt" type errors. With files that are all previously 'proven'.

That's why they are called beta's, if you don't want to have things "broken", stay with the official build.
The other servers you mention are all stable builds and they don't give out (as many) beta's you can test.
I checked out Serviio a couple of days ago, just to see if it would play that certain file PMS would't..
Serviio wouldn't even start up and gave me an internal server error, and that was an stable build.

The official build has issues as well. I said 'newer' releases. I know the difference between official and beta.

But I get "data corrupt" and black screen issues with the official and the beta builds.

As far as Serviio, yeah, it's complete garbage. Wouldn't even start on my PC as well, if I recall correctly or it kept jamming up. All I know is it didn't stay installed for more than an hour or two.
Val Killmore: Potato Chip Assassin
SubJunk53--Java 7u4--Acer Aspire 6930 2CoreDuo @ 2.00 GHz 3.00 GB RAM serving to : PS3 Slim -- 2 Xbox360
Val Killmore

Postby Xmantium » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:32 pm

Try the new build released few days ago, it works brilliant.

I have tried every media server available, Twonky, Wild Media Server, Mezzmo, TVesity, TVMobili and PS3 Media server.

Serviio is now my main server. PS3MS as backup just incase.

The main reason, ps3ms doesnt play the last 10 seconds of an mkv file remuxed. Browsing on the Bravia TV is painfully slow.
Online streaming is so much fluid, no buffering issues at all with HD videos.

I very rarely switch to ps3ms if i want to watch something in MEncoder engine
Xmantium

Postby lesmikesell » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:47 am

I really wish serviio and ps3ms would steal each others' best features. Well, with open source it would be sharing, not stealing... Serviio has a nice touch where when you are playing to a sony blu-ray player (not a ps3) you can use the remote's 'audio' button to cycle through the audio tracks (DTS, dolby 5.1, stereo, etc.). Ps3media server knows how to use vlc to forward remote streams - and knows a lot more about itunes/iphoto and their playlists/albums.
lesmikesell

Postby Illico » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:22 am

Xmantium wrote:Serviio is now my main server. PS3MS as backup just incase.

Same result for me, Serviio is now the first but I still follows the PS3MS dev...
Sony Bravia KDL-46EX501 | Sony BDP-S373 | Sony SMP-N100 |Serviio / PS3MS | Buffalo 2Share DD
Illico

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion