Can't turn off subtitles, .mkv files

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Can't turn off subtitles, .mkv files

Postby Simonzi » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:47 am

Forgive me, I'm going to do my best to describe the problem, but I'm probably going to use all the wrong terms.

This never happened before, it just started more recently. Any .mkv files I have, I cannot turn the subtitles off. It doesn't matter if I have "Definitely disable subtitles" checked or unchecked. This is on the Windows 7 version of PS3 Media Server. I've tried searching the forum, but haven't come up with an answer. The subtitles themselves are hard encoded (probably not the right term), meaning there isn't a separate .srt file. I can turn them off when playing the file through VLC, but not PS3 Media Server. I went as far as trying to remove the subtitles from the .mkv using MkvMerge, but when I remux the .mkv and try to play it, I just get "Data is corrupt", even though the program MediaInfo show's the files are exactly the same, except for the subtitle track. This is driving me bananas, as I didn't have this problem in the past. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)
Simonzi

Re: Can't turn off subtitles, .mkv files

Postby devildog93 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:00 am

The subs are embedded into the MKV.

If you definitely don't need subtitles, you can use TsMuxer as a quick workaround. It can't render subs. It only remuxes, doesn't transcode.

OR

You could also enter this value into your Audio/Subtitles Language Priority box.

Code: Select all
eng,off;und,off;*,eng

Save, then restart PMS. Try one of the movies (with MEcoder) that has issues. See if that stops them.
devildog93

Postby Simonzi » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:18 am

Thanks for the tips, I'll give those a try later tonight :)
Simonzi

Postby devildog93 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:04 am

Simonzi wrote:Thanks for the tips, I'll give those a try later tonight :)

I should clarify that I am assuming you are English speaking.
devildog93

Postby christr » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:49 am

devildog93 wrote:The subs are embedded into the MKV.

If you definitely don't need subtitles, you can use TsMuxer as a quick workaround. It can't render subs. It only remuxes, doesn't transcode.

OR

You could also enter this value into your Audio/Subtitles Language Priority box.

Code: Select all
eng,off;und,off;*,eng

Save, then restart PMS. Try one of the movies (with MEcoder) that has issues. See if that stops them.

I tried this solution also, but it didn't work. I have this exact same problem, but nothing I've done so far has fixed it. Have any of you had any luck?

Thanks
christr

Postby sirjme » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:54 pm

I have the same problem with mkv and mts files with subtitles.
sirjme

Postby christr » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:22 pm

Same here. I've tried every suggestion possible. Can't get rid of those damn subtitles when they're embedded in the MKVs.
christr

Postby kangocartman » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:32 am

I use mkvmerge 3.30 to remove or add subs.
I'm using 1.21 so not sure if this works with the latest pms.
Hope this helps
Kc
PMS version 1.54/ Java 1.7
Intel 2Core Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
4GB Win7 Ultimate 64bit
Wired 1GB via VM Super Hub
2x PS3 (1x 80GB Fat + 1x 120GB Slim)
42" 1080p lcd, 32" 1080p lcd
kangocartman

Postby christr » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:27 am

The problem is I wouldn't want to go to that much trouble. On my regular Blu Ray players in the house the subtitles aren't even a problem. It's only on the PS3 that the problem exists with MKV files that have subtitles. I can easily turn them off and on from other devices. If I download a TV show that I'm only going to watch once, and then delete why would I want to spend the time actually modifying the original file?

I do appreciate the suggestion though. I just wish there was a simple solution to the problem. I hope the PS3 Media Server developers fix this problem in future versions.
christr

Postby mikel81 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:55 pm

I've had the same problem and the following worked for me. I first turned off auto play sub titles in VLC (which didn't work). If the following doesn't work then you will need to do it. (In preferences choose 'All' and go to Video --> Subtitles, untick enable subpictures and auto detect files).

But in ps3ms go to Transcoding settings --> choose MEncoder and change Audio/Subtitles Priority to 'off'. I also unticked auto play .srt files, as that pissed me off sometimes too.

Hope this helps.
mikel81

Next

Return to General Help and Support