AVC or MPEG2

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

AVC or MPEG2

Postby steashy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:56 am

hi just need to ask which is better, problem im having is when subtiltles are enabled and i press select on the ps3 th video shows as mpeg2
but when subs disabled the video shows as avc, am i losing any quality in the video or have i got something set wrong
just wanna say a big thanks for the app its the best ive used :D
steashy

Re: AVC or MPEG2

Postby tongkk » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:20 am

PMS need to do transcoding when you enable subtitle and all transcoded video stream to PS3 is in Mpeg2 format. All untranscoded video to ps3 is in native format and most mkv is in AVC format. I think the untranscoded video should be better.
tongkk

Postby whome » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:31 pm

Excatly well said.

If you want uncompromized quality with subtitling, you must do a batch conversion. Let some of the video conversion tools to crunch a file, it takes from 1h to 5h hours depending on the PC and quality settings. Batch processing burns (like a transcoding on the fly) subtitles into a picture but do it properly. Its possible cause they don't need to worry about the live transcoding. You can run files to AVC/AAC with two-pass best image quality settings.
* FFMPEG conversions
* VLC conversions
* any conversion tool from videohelp.com
whome

Postby steashy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:32 pm

thanks for the replies good to know im not losing quality when the video is avc as my network seems to handle it better than mpeg2 :D
steashy

Return to General Help and Support