Starting with Coding

Discuss issues related to PS3 Media Server development (only for programmers)

Starting with Coding

Postby Donut » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:28 am

Hi,

I'm relatively new to programming in this project. I do have some questions because the code is very confusing and it is hard to understand. Is there any kind of 'documentation'? If so I would be glad if you could give me a link. If not I would like to do some 'pair programming' with somebody who knows the code. This may sound crazy, but it isn't. There is a tool which allows Eclipse-Users to do distributed pair programming called 'Saros' (information can be found here). So nobody would have to travel to 'meet' me ;-)

Hoping for feedback

Donut
Donut

Re: Starting with Coding

Postby taconaut » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:18 am

Beside the comments in code I'm not aware of other documentation, you'll have to get your hands dirty. If you've got some concrete questions I'll give it a try answering them.
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby Donut » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:00 pm

Ok here is the question that is haunting me: Why is it allways "catch (Throwable t)". That is annoying.
Maybe if I understand this, other things might become clear too.

Ciao

Donut
Donut

Postby Raptor399 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:55 pm

Donut wrote:Ok here is the question that is haunting me: Why is it allways "catch (Throwable t)". That is annoying.
Maybe if I understand this, other things might become clear too.

Not always! Sometimes it is "catch (Exception e)"! :mrgreen:

My guess it's laziness, pure and simple.
Specifying the exact exceptions and handling each with a good error message is more work than catching everything and not handling it.

As you probably have seen PMS is a pretty large Java project that has grown over the years. Lots of people use it while the world around changes continuously; take a look at the other forums and you see there are lots of fires to put out.
That makes that beautifying code a low priority. We do care though - if that is any consolation.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby chocolateboy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:31 pm

chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby Raptor399 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:52 pm

chocolateboy wrote:https://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/issues/detail?id=1087#c1

I take it you mean this bit from the comment:

As it currently stands, PMS logs everything (i.e. all log levels), and adding "it's an error but it's harmless" messages such as this just results in users seeing "error" and reporting non-issues.

Well, that's just a matter of choosing the right log level for the message, isn't it?

By default the "Traces" tab shows ERROR, WARN and INFO messages, the console output shows ERROR, WARN and INFO messages and the "debug.log" shows ERROR, WARN, INFO and DEBUG messages. Unimportant messages could still be logged as TRACE and not appear anywhere unless someone is really interested in them.

And that's where we get back to my comment about it being a low priority: it's a lot of work for messages that hardly anyone is ever going to see. Or wants to see, for that matter; try setting the level to TRACE and see how long you survive. ;-)
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby chocolateboy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:55 pm

Yes to all of the above. :-)
chocolateboy
Project Member

Return to Developers