PMS with low end CPUs: Does PMS support GPU-based encoding?

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

PMS with low end CPUs: Does PMS support GPU-based encoding?

Postby macross3 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:21 pm

I have a server with AMD 64 4000+ (single core) that i want to use for media streaming of HD (1080) content.

I get some stuttering on the most heavy movies, like Avatar in 1080.

I know the CPU is too low end to do 1080 streaming (at least with transcoding). So my options are pretty much:

- Get a better CPU for the same socket (939). Will a Athlon 64 X2 be enough to handle this?
- Get the GPU to do the heavy lifting. Does PMS support GPU based encoding/transcoding?

Thanks for any help guys.
macross3

Re: PMS with low end CPUs: Does PMS support GPU-based encodi

Postby meskibob » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:46 pm

For general specs - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&start=90#p39334
Search the forum for CUDA or CoreAVC or GPU (there are also how to's in the tutorial thread - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507#p15382) for help with the available GPU options.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby macross3 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:01 pm

meskibob wrote:For general specs - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&start=90#p39334
Search the forum for CUDA or CoreAVC or GPU (there are also how to's in the tutorial thread - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507#p15382) for help with the available GPU options.

Thanks for the info. I have read that thread but didnt see anything to do with GPU in it. I will read more thoroughly :)
macross3

Postby otmanix » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:00 pm

macross3 wrote:I have a server with AMD 64 4000+ (single core) that i want to use for media streaming of HD (1080) content.

I get some stuttering on the most heavy movies, like Avatar in 1080.

I know the CPU is too low end to do 1080 streaming (at least with transcoding). So my options are pretty much:

- Get a better CPU for the same socket (939). Will a Athlon 64 X2 be enough to handle this?
- Get the GPU to do the heavy lifting. Does PMS support GPU based encoding/transcoding?

Thanks for any help guys.

Stuttering may also be caused by network limits (e.g. not enough network bandwith with Wireless G). If your CPU utilization (per core) is below 90% you probably have a network problem. Transcoded videos need more bandwith (better compression of h.264 than MPG2), so tsmuxer engine is preferred. Transcoding is enforced when using subtitles!

Transcoding means decoding (h.264) video and encode video to MPG2. You can reduce CPU load (only for decoding) by using Avisynth/Menoder engine combined with CoreAVC/CUDA: http://otmanix.de/english/2009/06/01/java-ps3-media-server-for-dummies-chapter-5-videolan-and-avisynth/ Enocoding to MPG2 still has to be done by your CPU. Also bandwith limit option in PMS causes additional CPU load. You may reduce quality in order to save some bandwith.
CUDA is provided by latest drivers for NVidia GPUs. Make sure your GPU supports CUDA. Here's a list: http://www.nvidia.de/object/cuda_gpus_de.html

I suggest to be happy with your hardware "as is" or buy new/used mainboard/CPU/RAM. Socket 939 was introduced in 2004! It's using PCI instead of PCIe. You may use some parts of your old equipment like CD-ROM, HDD, etc. You will get very cheap new AM3 Boards and Athlon II X4 quadcore CPUs. With BIOS updates you can also use latest AMD CPUs X4/X6 in socket AM2. That works because latest CPUs have both a DDR2 and DDR3 memory controller. But you should't put a new X4/X6 CPU in an AM2 socket when TDP is > 80W.
Upgrading only your current CPU still is poor performance for 1080p.

Best regards, Otmanix
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
otmanix

Re: Solution to Cinavia

Postby wugas » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:15 am

Hi I have a problem I E35M1 ASUS-DELUXE weindows I can not start the seven-and GPU hardware acceleration via the PS3 mediaserve. Still just over the CPU! I want to run full HD 1080p. It is down over the CPU. I tried various options but failed. Normally it works just across the KMP on Windows where the GPU acceleration runs without any problems! Please explanation (tutorial) how to enable the GPU hardware acceleration via PS3mediaserver.Jsem despair please help thank you:)
wugas

Postby Zerschmetterling » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:58 pm

It is quite simple, if you bought CoreAVC.
The Guide of Otmanix didn't work for me, so I tested something myself.
The actual mencoder_mt.exe doesn't support Cuda. But the mencoder-alternate.exe in the win32 Folder of PMS does!
So replace the Original with the alternate.
Then you need the file dsnative.dll out of this page http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php (click on AMD or Intel P4 or faster, depending on your cpu)
You copy the dll into your Win32-Folder in the PMS-Folder.
Then you start PMS, go into the Transcodeoptions, to Mencoder and under Custom-Options you add -vc dsncoreavc
You save the settings and then you got CoreAVC for h264 encoded material.
My problem with this method is, that I can't watch the subs of my Animes anymore, because the alternate.exe doesn't support ASS-Subs :D
Zerschmetterling

Postby ExSport » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:45 am

CoreAVC /DiAvc / FFDShow etc. are used for decoding part only, not for encoding.
-vc dsncoreavc

This will lead to play h264 movies only, not others like XviD/DivX etc.
Change it to this:
Code: Select all
-vc dsncoreavc,

As already discussed here in forum, it will try to use dsncoreavc directshow filter and if it will fail it will use another most usable decoder depending on media format.
ExSport

Postby Zerschmetterling » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:21 pm

Ah, forgot the comma, my bad :)
Zerschmetterling

Return to General Discussion