Video stops every 5 seconds on EVERY media server

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Video stops every 5 seconds on EVERY media server

Postby capitaltpt » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:58 pm

I'm having an issue streaming video to my PS3 not only with PS3 Media Server, but also Vuze and Playon. The video will play for about 5 seconds and then stop for a few seconds, then start again. It is constant throughout the video. It also seems to stop at the exact same places no matter which media server I'm running. I have tried several different video files with the same result. I've changed network cables, reset the router, and even reset the PS3 with the same result. I have been using PS3 Media Server for well over a year with no problems. The only change is I recently replaced my motherboard and obviously re-installed windows and all programs. All drivers are up to date and internet functions with no issues. I am even able to stream video from PlayOn to my phone with no stuttering. The video I discovered this issue with is an an AVI container, however, the problem occurs with mpg, flv, and even streaming Hulu. I'm out of ideas on what to fix.

PS3 Media Server version 1.25.1

System:
AMD Phenom II x4 955
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Motherboard
16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 RAM

Netgear WNDR3700 Router

PS3 Connection: CAT6 Wired Connection (Gigabit)
capitaltpt

Re: Video stops every 5 seconds on EVERY media server

Postby meskibob » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:09 pm

Sounds like an MTU or duplex mismatch. Check all of the NIC and router settings and look for a mismatch.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby capitaltpt » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:26 pm

Thanks for the reply. Where would I go to check this information?
capitaltpt

Postby capitaltpt » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:56 am

ok, I figured out where all the settings are and both are matched. I set each to Full 1000 Duplex and still having the same issue of 5 seconds of video, 5 second freeze.
capitaltpt

Postby Devvie83 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:38 am

Seems this could be driver related then, because I have the exact same problem with the same motherboard.

I'll poke around a bit and give feedback if I find something useful :)
Devvie83

Postby Devvie83 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:03 am

Right, I think I solved the problem.

In your device manager, open up the configuration for the ethernet adapter and click the alternative called: JUMBO-something (norwegian OS, so not sure what to call it exactly). It's set to deactivated as standard.
I set that one to 9kb MTU and I set the PS3 to use 1500 MTU (although I'm not sure changing it on the PS3 was needed).

Now videos are running straight away and seem to go smoothly :)
Devvie83

Postby ExSport » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:26 am

It is weird.
For jumbo packets support you need all devices will support it and also they will support same packet size.
It means you need PC network card, switch and PS3 network card to support jumbo packets and exactly 9KB size.
PS3 doesn't support jumbo packets so your change on one side will not enable it.
I suppose you have misconfigured network card on PC. Or in lot of cases same behavior can be due to network driver.
Try to update drivers and if needed also reconfigure it little bit=disable checksum offload, flow control etc...
ExSport

Postby Devvie83 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:33 am

Wierd or not, the change worked.

I'm not claiming to know what any of it actually does, but as long as it works it's fine by me! :)

Misconfigured it might be, but that was the standard configuration made by the driver install. First time ever I have had any trouble like that.
Devvie83

Postby capitaltpt » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:34 am

Thanks for all the replies. I've actually determined the problem IS the motherboard. I went out and "rented" an Ethernet Card just to test with and videos started right away and are smooth with it. I've already filled out the RMA for my motherboard and re-installed my old one. I"m glad you got it to work Devvie, but I don't feel like re-installing the board just to try it. I'll report back if the new board has the same issue or not. You're the first Sabertooth owner I've found with the same issue.
capitaltpt

Postby ExSport » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:49 am

Maybe problem is not your motherboard but drivers which came with it.
Try update your network drivers with new ones if it will not fix your problems.
In most cases problems lies on drivers or its misconfiguration.
ExSport

Next

Return to General Help and Support