Wireless streaming is stuttering

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: Wireless streaming is stuttering

Postby Aeropars » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:38 pm

Thanks for the info.

So if i stream something and watch the buffer, I should see that it doesnt decrease much at all. If its not decreasing yet I still have stuttering then its down to my network?

Like I said i've set the mbits setting to be 9 and this pays some parts fine and stutters at others. My CPU never does above 50%. From how I understand the software working, the transcoder should never let the mbits go over 9 if i have set that setting?

I'm very knowledgeable in the PC part but dont have much knowledge on how these video transcoding technologies work so thanks for your patience.
Aeropars

Postby shagrath » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:14 pm

Aeropars wrote:Thanks for the info.

So if i stream something and watch the buffer, I should see that it doesnt decrease much at all. If its not decreasing yet I still have stuttering then its down to my network?

Like I said i've set the mbits setting to be 9 and this pays some parts fine and stutters at others. My CPU never does above 50%. From how I understand the software working, the transcoder should never let the mbits go over 9 if i have set that setting?

I'm very knowledgeable in the PC part but dont have much knowledge on how these video transcoding technologies work so thanks for your patience.

depends of video size... you can't expect a 1080p video to stay under 9mbits.. have you tried other mpeg quality settings ? (the default one is made for ethernet)
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby Aeropars » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:45 pm

but i thought the idea was that irrespective of the quality of the video resolution the transcoding would limit the bitrate not to go above whatever you set (in my case 9)

I've set the transcode quality to be medium quality for hd wifi streaming.
Aeropars

Postby meskibob » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:50 pm

Aeropars wrote:but i thought the idea was that irrespective of the quality of the video resolution the transcoding would limit the bitrate not to go above whatever you set (in my case 9)

Only if the bandwidth limit is greater than the minimum video bitrate, which does depend on your output quality setting. Think of it through the following example (with semi fake numbers for easy math):
You have some HD movie at 30mbps total bitrate, and your network can only handle 15mpbs. You can't transcode to the same quality as the source since your network can't handle it, so you would change the output video quality settings to make the transcoder output it at a smaller (lower quality) bitrate. Depending on what quality you choose, it could go down to 15mpbs or 5mpbs. This is where the bandwidth limit comes in, where PMS knows it can send three seconds of the 5mbps video every second, so it doesn't need to transcode as fast (ie not atleast realtime), meaning less CPU usage.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby shagrath » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:53 pm

Aeropars wrote:but i thought the idea was that irrespective of the quality of the video resolution the transcoding would limit the bitrate not to go above whatever you set (in my case 9)

I've set the transcode quality to be medium quality for hd wifi streaming.

yeah but there's some limits to this... besides, either the video sutters, either it's smooth but so much ugly it's unwatchable... tough choice :)
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby Aeropars » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:37 am

Well I tried again last night with a good long pause before playing and i must admit it was faultless although I didnt check the planet earth scene. I'll give that a go tonight and report back!
Aeropars

Previous

Return to General Help and Support