MKV Dolby Digital - center speaker swapped with surround

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: MKV Dolby Digital - center speaker swapped with surround

Postby SpEnTBoY » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:14 pm

Ok more newb questions ... I have a DTS reciever using the optical connection for my PS3. When I select 'Keep DTS Audio in Stream' I get the reaction one would expect from what the information window says: "it's possible to have static sound" ... which it does :) it then suggests to set the volume icon on the XMB to Normal and the channels icon to left and right ... where is this?? I was checking sound settings but I'm not sure I understand what I should be changing :( ... just need a kick in the right direction :) ... I'll keep trying stuff
SpEnTBoY

Postby SpEnTBoY » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:40 pm

Well with a whack of clicking around and trying different options i can get it tolerable using DTS/FLAC - > LPCM (although I dont fully understand what I've selected and it doesn't sound quite right). My Reciever shows [L][R] and doesn't show all my speakers active but at least the voices aren't coming from my right surround speaker. Hopefuly with some reading etc I can igure out wth I'm doing :)
SpEnTBoY

Postby meskibob » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:26 pm

SpEnTBoY wrote:...it then suggests to set the volume icon on the XMB to Normal and the channels icon to left and right ... where is this??
These are available in the playback options menu on the PS3, which you can access by pressing Triangle when watching a video.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby SpEnTBoY » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:22 pm

meskibob wrote:These are available in the playback options menu on the PS3, which you can access by pressing Triangle when watching a video.

wow I feel like a tool :) ... that dd it thanks!! Al Channels work fine now :D
SpEnTBoY

Postby SpEnTBoY » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:03 pm

... correction ... it depends on the file I'm playing lol *sigh* sometimes everything is fine using passthrough ... then I go and play a file that was fine without using passthrough and it does the same thing. right rear = center. I'll just keep monkeying around. Thanks again!!
SpEnTBoY

Postby az1979 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:15 pm

The reason for that is that 6-channel transcoding doesn't work properly on some ubuntu systems. Try to avoid transcoding audio whenever possible.

If you just pass the DTS stream through, that should do the trick. Just tell PMS to keep DTS inside the PCM stream. You need DTS capable equipment for that.

Andreas
az1979

Postby shagrath » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:18 pm

az1979 wrote:The reason for that is that 6-channel transcoding doesn't work properly on some ubuntu systems. Try to avoid transcoding audio whenever possible.

the default mplayer in Ubuntu is from mid 2007, that's why... I love Linux packages system :cry:
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby SpEnTBoY » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:52 pm

shagrath wrote:
az1979 wrote:The reason for that is that 6-channel transcoding doesn't work properly on some ubuntu systems. Try to avoid transcoding audio whenever possible.

the default mplayer in Ubuntu is from mid 2007, that's why... I love Linux packages system :cry:

lol ... now now lets not blame "Linux" ... lets blame package maintainers for certain distros!! lol :D I agree it seems a little silly to have it dated THAT far back, especially since the distro is at the latest release. My other systems (custom, Mandriva, Fedora, etc) seem to keep them fairly up to date and if not it's a 2 minute email to the maintainer to rectify the situation or you can use their dev version (cooker etc). Either way I upgraded and everything is happy. I do DTS passthrough anyway (assuming the load on my media server would be kept to a minimum).
SpEnTBoY

Previous

Return to Linux/Unix Support