Search and Download Subtitles

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

Search and Download Subtitles

Postby m4xc4v413r4 » Tue May 17, 2011 11:23 pm

It would be awesome if PMS would have a system like MPC-HC were you could search for subtitles for whatever you are watching. In MPC-HC, choosing what file you want from the list is manual, but PMS could have some type of language priority list and it would automatically download the subtitle for that language when you start a video.

Obviously this wouldn't work every time, it could get one that is out of sync but from my MPC-HC experience that rarely happens, it searches for the subtitles in OpenSubtitles using the file name of the video and 99% of the time you have the exact one you want in the list... but in case this happens you could choose another one manually.
m4xc4v413r4

Re: Search and Download Subtitles

Postby SharkHunter » Wed May 18, 2011 7:03 am

The Channels plugin has this support built in. OpenSubs are not integrated yet but allSubs are. If demand is high it is possible to port the subs downloading either straight into PMS or make a separate plugin. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9329
SharkHunter

Postby m4xc4v413r4 » Wed May 18, 2011 2:47 pm

I wasn't aware of that, thanks for the info :)

It would still be nice to have that integrated in PMS and using multiple websites :D
m4xc4v413r4

Postby chocolateboy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:41 pm

IMO, the best solution would be to implement this via a pms-mlx plugin:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9775
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby squadjot » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:36 pm

Imo, integrating it into PMS is very bad idea.

The main problem is that it's very hard to get the consistency you want from such thing.. it might work 50% of the times.. would that be satisfactory? not to me! Not even mentioning the extra time i use with the akward XMB menu ..simply not worth it.

I find my subtitles with Sublight, it's really great! - http://www.sublight.si/
squadjot

Postby chocolateboy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:24 pm

squadjot wrote:The main problem is that it's very hard to get the consistency you want from such thing.. it might work 50% of the times.

If we're making up statistics, I'd say it works 90% of the time in XBMC. And, like I said, the best option would be to implement it as a pms-mlx plugin (so the hash and IMDb ID could be used to improve the search). No-one's suggesting it should be forced on users who don't want to use it.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby SharkHunter » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:41 pm

For me it works very good just based on name and year etc. IceFilms can supply the IMDB id so for those streams it is possible to get even higher success rate. Of course it should be configurable to turn it on/off for people who want's. For local (disc based) video this only needs to be done once and I doubt you need to try maximum of 3 diffrent subtitles.
SharkHunter

Postby telsek » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:27 pm

This would be a totally awesome feature to have. I find it very tedious to fetch all subtitles manually.. is there anyone with another suggestion for doing this? I tried Sublight, but it let's me do like 10 subtitles and then I have to rate which is all nice and dandy to do, but when u want to fill up all your media drives with subtitles is not really worth it. Any other suggestions until this comes as a plugin for ps3mediaserver?
telsek

Return to Feature Suggestions