PMServ - PS3 Media Server Linux Distribution

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: PMServ - PS3 Media Server Linux Distribution

Postby maxcovergold » Wed May 11, 2011 9:53 pm

Thanks for your reply and patience with me. Most of that is foreign to me but I'll see if I can figure it out. Are those numbers at the end of the line ok to use or they differ depending on the type of share etc? Also, after '/mnt/' is 'localfolder' part of the mounting statement or is it the name you assign to the mount? Thanks
maxcovergold

Postby vyrticul » Wed May 11, 2011 10:03 pm

@atlas things may have changed with the newer versions of windows, but you generally always want to install linux last.

@maxcovergold the last two numbers are the end deal with dump and fsck (backing up and filesystem checking). generally with a share you don't want any of those. no, you want to create a folder first anywhere on your filesystem than you mount the share to that folder. so if you were to create a folder at /mnt/shared you would put /mnt/shared in that spot.
vyrticul

Postby atlas » Thu May 12, 2011 2:39 am

@vyrticul - thanks for the quick reply. Which pmserv install file/image would be used to conduct the install on a drive already with windows?
atlas

Postby vyrticul » Thu May 12, 2011 2:45 am

@atlas i would use the live cd/dvd image. (that's actually the only one i've tried :D ) and use the command yast2 live-installer

just be sure when you're going through the install that you make sure your windows partition isn't set to be formatted (the installer should recognize it and not format it) and that it shows up on the list of bootable options.
vyrticul

Postby atlas » Thu May 12, 2011 1:17 pm

Cheers thanks for your help.

Another question - does your distro have support for nVidia CUDA technology? I think CUDA allows you offload some or all of the video processing to a nVidia GPU if it's capable.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=198030
atlas

Postby indotoonster » Sun May 22, 2011 2:53 pm

Hello, I am trying to install the latest version of PMServ, but I am getting errors of failed download during the YaST2 installation process:
File '/repodata/repomd.xml.asc' not found on medium 'http://packman.unixheads.com/suse/11.3'.

Googling around shows that as of 2 weeks ago, this repository is no longer available: http://unixheads.org/?page_id=229

I am not familiar with OpenSUSE and YaST2... what can I do to fix this??

Thank you very much in advance!

Cheers,
indotoonster
indotoonster

Postby indotoonster » Thu May 26, 2011 3:55 pm

Hello, I am trying to install the latest version of PMServ, but I am getting errors of failed download during the YaST2 installation process:
File '/repodata/repomd.xml.asc' not found on medium 'http://packman.unixheads.com/suse/11.3'.

Hello... any ideas on how to solve this?
indotoonster

Postby Straumoy » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:58 pm

Hello,

assuming I can get this thing to work, it will be the best thing I've gotten my hands on since the original Playstation! :D

At any rate, I don't know much about linux and what little I do know is limited to linux distro with GUI, but I'll make a sincere effort to get this thing working. I will, however, require some assistance, but by the looks of things, that shouldn't be too hard to get.

About my hardware:
I recently became the proud owner of a BlackArmor® NAS 220 2TB http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/blackarmor/blackarmor_nas_220/, hoping it would allow me to have access to my media (music and video mainly) without having my computer running 24/7. Not that this is a problem, but y'know... if it goes down and I need new parts or I want to upgrade...

About my media:
I've been an on/off fan of the PS3 media server. Had mixed results with on-the-fly-transcoding, so I've pretty much given up on that and rather convert the things I really want to save (there's a lot of junk out there and you know it). The bulk of my videos comes from anime in all shapes and sizes. When it comes to anime, *.MKV is the name of the game, 8 out of 10 at the very least. Dual audio and multiple subtitle tracks are not unheard of. With no fixed "standard" for format, codecs or what have you, it is my experience that I can get it to work for some, but not for all files. Also, later shows comes often in HD of some kind and then there's the new favorite; the bluray rip-offs.

Originally I hoped the media server functionality on the NAS would suffice, right out of the box, but that was not the case. Several formats are either not listed, listed as unsupported format (though they work fine from a USB stick straight into the PS3) or they give a weird network error when I start them. Music is not an issue, as all my music is in *.MP3 format.

About my needs:
I'd like to give this application a try. Even if it doesn't work (for whatever reason), I can always fall back to use the NAS as storage and map up folder structure on the PS3MS running on my PC. So if I may ask a few questions to clarify some minor details:
1. the installation of this server software will delete all data already on the disc?
2. my NAS and PC find and talk to each other fine - I assume I install the software from my computer, over the network?
3. given my hardware, what is best to use, 64 or 32 bit? (figured 32, since transcoding isn't going to be an issue)
4. currently my NAS is set with RAID 1 - should this be changed before I do anything, or will the software take care of that for me?
5. as I understand it, there are two 1 TB discs inside, will I be able to use both discs or do I have to install 1 server per disc?

I apologize for the lack of info about my NAS, but that was all that I could dig up. The documentation that came with the installer disc is the same as found on the site.

Thank you very much for your assistance. :)
Straumoy

Postby spiderman1369 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:35 pm

Ever thought of adding SickBeard and CouchPotato to this distro?

I currently run Xubuntu 10.04 with Sabnzbd+, Sickbeard, and CouchPotato. I run it on an old Pentium 4 cpu. It works great as is. However, I want to run PS3Media Server on it but I know there will be trans-coding issues with that ancient cpu.

Cheers!
spiderman1369

Postby Straumoy » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:23 pm

This might come across as a very stupid question, but

can this be installed and run on my NAS (see my previous post) or does it have to be on a dedicated computer?
Straumoy

PreviousNext

Return to Linux/Unix Support