Stuttering with "Lossless quality" setting...

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Stuttering with "Lossless quality" setting...

Postby Windsor75 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:44 pm

Hi,

Until now, I set PMS quality video to "keyint=1:vqscale=1:vqmin=2 /* Best Quality */". Today I tried "keyint=1:vqscale=1:vqmin=1 /* Lossless Quality, Crazy Bitrate */". It works fine on every mkv I tried except one, Wall-E 1080p DTS. At the beginning, when the camera is over the buildings, we see Wall-e going between them. Here, the PS3 shows 260 Mbps and it's stuttering. When I put "Best quality", I'm about 66 Mbps and it's fine. My quad core is not 100% occupied.

I'm near sure I have the solution : change my local network, 100 Mb, to 1 Gb. Do you confirm ? Or is there anything else I can try ? More cache for example.

Thanx.
Windsor75

Re: Stuttering with "Lossless quality" setting...

Postby shagrath » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:57 pm

try the same scene with "keyint=25:vqscale=1:vqmin=1" and report here :p
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby hakbar » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:00 pm

Wow Dude! i had the same problem, but with Ratatouilli.Blue.Ray.DTS.Remux.mkv only!

my setting was keyint=1:vqscale=1:vqmin=1 and this is the only movie in which i see some stuttering every once in a while. i changed keyint=25, it worked like a charm now, no stuttering. But, i see white noise in none-moving objects, comes up and goes with a sequence like a heart beat!! Am i making sense?! it is so hard to describe what i am seeing. but i am sure it is a white noise like things, and only on backgrounds where nothing is moving.

it is a gig network btw. and on a 52" 1080p LCD, so everything is noticeable ;)

so could someone please explain what is keyint ? and what does the value 25 stands for? while at it, explaining vqscale and vqmin would be great :P

and what does the "transcode maximum buffer size" is for, and what effect does it have on quality if the value is changes from 400 to 600?? Because when i play mkv movies, the movie stops after couple of minutes as if i paused, i exit, then play it again, plays where it froze without problems!

thanks,
hakbar

Postby Windsor75 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:11 pm

I tried and it worked fine. But what's the difference with keyint=1:vqscale=1:vqmin=2, which goes fine too ?

Edit : with keyint=25, I just managed to have stutter on an 720p mkv. On a "back zoom" which shows lots and lots of birds flying over the land. Same thing with 1:1:2. I have 150 Mbps.
Windsor75

Postby meskibob » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:42 pm

Windsor75 wrote:On a "back zoom" which shows lots and lots of birds flying over the land.

The infamous Planet Earth flock of cranes scene? :D
That is one of the scenes where having the transcode buffer filled is really useful. Not much you can do to bypass that apart from decreasing the overall quality settings.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Windsor75 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:20 pm

meskibob wrote:The infamous Planet Earth flock of cranes scene? :D
That is one of the scenes where having the transcode buffer filled is really useful. Not much you can do to bypass that apart from decreasing the overall quality settings.

Yes exactly that's this one ! For fun I tried with 1:1:1 and of course it stutters a lot, lol
Windsor75

Postby Windsor75 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:45 pm

Hi,

I tried to demux the video with mkv2vob. It made a mpg file with same size as the mkv. I read this file with the PS3, through PMS, and it worked fine. I had a bitrate peak at 20 Mbps on the "flock of cranes" scene.

I had two questions :
- could I lose quality with demux ? I think not but I'm not sure.
- If not, is there any setting (not for the quality of course, but maybe size of the buffer) I can change so it can work fine ?

Thanx.

Edit : I increased the buffer to 600 and it seems to be a little better. But I can't increase over, PMS does not allow it :(
Windsor75

Return to General Help and Support