Best codec pack?

Discuss third-party additions, plugins and translations for PS3 Media Server

Best codec pack?

Postby Gareee » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:31 am

I've been using the k-lite codec pack.. is there a better complete community codec pack that would be better than the k-lite one?
Gareee

Re: Best codec pack?

Postby ExSport » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:20 am

The best codec pack is NONE ;)
If you are talking about best codecpack for PMS, then again, NONE. PMS ignores all of the codecs installed on system.
ExSport

Postby Gareee » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:21 pm

Really? I had no idea. Oddly enough though, after installing the codec pack, mkv files that did not play before are now playing properly. (They would skip 4 minutes ahead, I could search restart them at the curent play position, and then the would do the same thing a few minutes later.

I'm going to try to uninstall them, and see if the problem exists at all. (I found one newly downloaded mkv that is an unsupported format I just downloaded yesterday... (Game of thrones 720p)
Gareee

Postby meskibob » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:30 pm

Well, to be clear, PMS by default ignores all codecs. If you install AviSynth and tell PMS to use AviSynth, then your system codecs will be used. But if you're only using MEncoder or TSmuxer, then it's as ExSport describes.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Gareee » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:48 pm

Yep, i can confirm that. I uninstalled the codec pack, and th eissue I was seeing is resolved, so it must have been a bug in the previous subjunk build.

I recall seeing a post someone made about some mkv files not being supported properly, so I'll check that out and see if the solution to that issue it there. Thanks for the tipoff! I hate having extra crap installed if I don't need it.
Gareee

Postby ExSport » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:58 pm

Yes, as meskibib said 8-)
I ignore AviSynth support because it limits PMS features and also it can be culprit of many side effects(almost all problems are due to bad/missing codecs installed or its settings-every system is unique)
When problem arise with PMS, it is easy to debug it via debug.log but when AviSynth used, sometimes is very hard to find culprit because it is outside PMS itself.
ExSport

Postby Gareee » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:14 am

The only negative issue I found was a that affore mentioned game of thrones mkv file. It still hasn't streamed properly for some reason, and with the k-lite codec pack installed, it played locally on the pc fine. Without it, it plays, but there is no sound at all.

We've already watched it in an alternate lower res form, but I'm keping the file to see if I can locate why it isn't playing back properly, or see if runnign it through a few utilities helps.

The last time I encountered something like this there was a mplayer (I think) update that wasn't playing properly with a new mkv encoding setting people were starting to use. Someone here pinpointed that issue back then.
Gareee

Postby gman84 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:13 am

Hi, Guys

I'm having the same issue with the 720p rip of Game of Thrones as well. It keeps telling me Data Format Not supported, when usually most .mkv files will play. I had the same message for a different 720p rip of Breakout Kings which gave me the same message. Any way to fix this issue?
gman84

Postby Gareee » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:00 pm

I haven't found a solution yet, other than just downloading a lower res version instead for viewing. I'm interested to see if the episode airing today has the same issue. if not, that might just indicate an issue with the file.
Gareee

Postby chocolateboy » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:17 pm

Workaround:

1. Transcoding Settings -> MEncoder -> Disable "Switch to tsMuxeR..." (don't save).
  2. Play the video.
  3. Transcoding Settings -> MEncoder -> Re-enable "Switch to tsMuxeR..." (don't save).
chocolateboy
Project Member

Next

Return to Additions and Plugins