"PS3 has not been found"

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: "PS3 has not been found"

Postby chinacow » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:25 am

one other thing...

upnp has to be enabled in both your router and your ps3 in order for this to work. if you still don't know how to enable upnp in your router, make sure it can do it in the first place, and if not, you may need another router. (enabling upnp in the ps3 is as easy as going to the crossbar network settings and enabling it.)

also, don't force any network settings at this point in your media server settings. it just confuses things at this point. just make sure everything is blank until you figure out the problem.
chinacow

Postby hardvibes » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:09 am

I did what you said about the osx firewall
yes ps3 mdia server is in the applications folder

chinacow wrote:what kind of router are you using? also, how familiar are you with your mac? did you add the media server to your applications folder?
alice gate voip 2 plus wi-fi
it doesnt have upnp by default (it is possible to unlock it but it's a long and hard procedure...I dont know if I should)
but isnt it the same if I open some ports?

what you're saying is that the media server, any media server, can't work without the upnp function?
hardvibes

Postby hardvibes » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:01 am

ok I get it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UPnP_AV_MediaServers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS3_Media_Server

no upnp = no ps3 media server

I'm gonna buy a router, the one I have is rented
hardvibes

Postby chinacow » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:13 am

i would get a router that has a gigabit ethernet connection. when you wire your mac to the router and the router to the ps3 you can stream high def content without stuttering.

i recently replaced my d-link with an airport extreme router.
chinacow

Postby liddokun » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:39 pm

hardvibes wrote:ok I get it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UPnP_AV_MediaServers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS3_Media_Server

no upnp = no ps3 media server

I'm gonna buy a router, the one I have is rented

Can i point out a couple of things?
Telecom's routers are known to be heaps of junk. Other isp ones don't get too much love, either....
Forwarding ports in a router allows you to connect to that port... from the INTERNET. upnp and forwarding ports are totally useless on a local network. Fix the OSX firewall/disable it for a test, set properly PMS and enjoy the results. Also, close that port you forwarded in the router, you don't want random people form the net poking at your Mac, do you?
liddokun

Postby meskibob » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:31 pm

liddokun wrote:Forwarding ports in a router allows you to connect to that port... from the INTERNET. upnp and forwarding ports are totally useless on a local network.

I agree with the port forwarding comment, but UPnP does have its uses on local networks when you have multiple networked devices and/or dynamic IPs.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby hardvibes » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:44 pm

liddokun wrote:Fix the OSX firewall/disable it for a test, set properly PMS and enjoy the results. Also, close that port you forwarded in the router, you don't want random people form the net poking at your Mac, do you?
but it wont work with my actual router, right?

ok I closed the port, thanks
hardvibes

Postby hardvibes » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:54 pm

i'm messaging with someone who got a router similar to mine (no upnp in that one either) and he managed to make it work using tcp optimizer

how can it be?

I'm still waiting an answer from him
hardvibes

Postby liddokun » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:51 pm

hardvibes wrote:
liddokun wrote:Fix the OSX firewall/disable it for a test, set properly PMS and enjoy the results. Also, close that port you forwarded in the router, you don't want random people form the net poking at your Mac, do you?
but it wont work with my actual router, right?

ok I closed the port, thanks

Actually what your router needs to do here is just act like a network switch... and it's so simple it shouldn't be an issue.
What i'd do is: set an ip on your Mac, set PMS to listen on that ip and see what happens. Firewall shouldn't be an issue but if you set it to allow every incoming connection for PMS (i tested this) won't be an issue.

meskibob wrote:I agree with the port forwarding comment, but UPnP does have its uses on local networks when you have multiple networked devices and/or dynamic IPs.

Yes well, i expressed myself in a not too clear way: what i meant is that a router's upnp is pointless for use in a lan. It can become useful if you need to get outside of the lan, but... not if the plan is to use stuff only inside :)
liddokun

Postby hardvibes » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:08 pm

liddokun wrote:Actually what your router needs to do here is just act like a network switch... and it's so simple it shouldn't be an issue.
What i'd do is: set an ip on your Mac, set PMS to listen on that ip and see what happens. Firewall shouldn't be an issue but if you set it to allow every incoming connection for PMS (i tested this) won't be an issue.

set an ip on your mac: it's always 192.168.1.128

set pms to listen on that ip: you mean the force ip server option? Put in 192.168.1.128? That's what I did

allow every incoming connection for PMS: that's what I did on the firewall tab

it's still an issue
hardvibes

PreviousNext

Return to Mac OS X Support