PMServ - PS3 Media Server Linux Distribution

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: PMServ - PS3 Media Server Linux Distribution

Postby maxcovergold » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:35 pm

The only thing I can find there that seems to indicate linux compatability is the thread PMS Shutdown Addition :
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8364&p=39222&hilit=linux#p39222

But having downloaded a few of the files from the OP they don't seem to be as simple as dropping the folder into pluggins. The main file actually seems to be a whole custom copy of PMS and with the source code I'm a little unsure as to what goes where.

Do you know if this is the thread where you got the plugin? Cheers
maxcovergold

Postby chocolateboy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:48 pm

As indicated in the list of plugins, that plugin is Windows only:

el.botijo wrote:It works on Windows, needs to do some things for Linux and does not work on Mac. [...] I would like somebody to take care of the code and polish it. I will NOT monitor this thread, so you are on your own.

maxcovergold wrote:But having downloaded a few of the files from the OP they don't seem to be as simple as dropping the folder into pluggins.

HontoniLinux wrote:[if users] want it I'll consider writing it in the form of a plugin instead.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby Joksi » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:15 pm

maxcovergold wrote:The only thing I can find there that seems to indicate linux compatability is the thread PMS Shutdown Addition :
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8364&p=39222&hilit=linux#p39222

But having downloaded a few of the files from the OP they don't seem to be as simple as dropping the folder into pluggins. The main file actually seems to be a whole custom copy of PMS and with the source code I'm a little unsure as to what goes where.

Do you know if this is the thread where you got the plugin? Cheers

Here you are (rename it to .jar)
Attachments
shutdown.rar
(11.37 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
Joksi

Postby maxcovergold » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:33 pm

Thanks for the link much appreciated.

Though unfortunately it doesn't seem to work. I can see the shutdown folder and options and selecting shutdown plays the dummy video aka windows, but it doesn't actually do anything, PC still on sitting at the loggin screen. Same thing even if I am logged in. Anything that I'm supposed to alter? Cheers
maxcovergold

Postby Joksi » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:49 pm

Are you running PMServer (Linux) ?
For me it works, it instantly shuts down.
Joksi

Postby maxcovergold » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:16 am

Running this latest distro installed to hard drive
maxcovergold

Postby maxcovergold » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:43 pm

I can't believe I didn't try this before as a process of elimination.

Regarding my issues playing files, in particular .mkv's on my Sony Bravia. PMServ is streaming mkv's fine to my xbox 360, muxing on the fly, so I assume an issue reading the .conf file? Strange as tried several that people are using with linux and still not working, but runs fine from windows 7. Any ideas?

Only thing with the 360 was that the quality wasn't great, does the 360 actually require trancoding as opposed to muxing like sony devices? Cheers
maxcovergold

Postby maxcovergold » Tue May 10, 2011 9:10 pm

Hello again.

Is there an easy way to mount NAS or a SMB share for use with PMServ? I have a dual boot on my NAS and was stupid enough to think editing the PMS.conf file from within windows with the IP address of my NAS would be enough. Tried researching but not much support on the non windows side of things. I came across some information about the fstab file in etc\ folder but have no idea how to input a network share into there.

Any help most appreciated, thanks
maxcovergold

Postby vyrticul » Tue May 10, 2011 9:25 pm

/etc/fstab is the right file to edit, it will look similar to:

//192.168.1.23/remoteshare /mnt/localfolder cifs username=guest,password=guest,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0664,dir_mode=0775,noperm 0 0

or you can use a credentials file to help hide the username and password:
//192.168.1.23/remoteshare /mnt/localfolder cifs credentials=/home/user/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0664,dir_mode=0775,noperm 0 0

and make that file only readable by the user.

Then in PMS.conf just add the mounted folder to the list of folders
vyrticul

Postby atlas » Wed May 11, 2011 5:10 pm

I just bought one of these HP Microservers: http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quic ... 16_na.HTML

I'm going to have a 60gb SSD boot drive, and 4 x 2TB HDs in RAID.

I want to dual-boot this with Windows Home Server 2011.

What would be the easiest way to get this distro on there? Which OS would I install first?
atlas

PreviousNext

Return to Linux/Unix Support