Remote on Android/iphone ?

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Remote on Android/iphone ?

Postby Decco » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:59 am

Is it possible or have anyone made some remote control software for android/iphone for PMS ? .. Or can xmbc be used with this software, so u can use the remote control for xmbc ?
Decco

Re: Remote on Android/iphone ?

Postby taconaut » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:22 pm

What do you want to control remotly? If it is the configuration of pms, this could be possible at some point but not now; if it is what is being played on the ps3 it is not possible (the ps3 has to request the content, it can't be triggered by the server).
And yes, you can also use pms with xmbc
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby Decco » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:12 pm

I think i need to rephrase that..

I want to use my android/iphone device (or both) as remote control, instead of that hideous ps3 controller.

You say xbmc works with ps3, i know that remote control works with iphone/android there, but i still have to choose pms in the ps3 meny on startup ? or can it be loaded by default or something ?

I dont use my ps3 to game on, only for pms and bluray needs, so tips tricks are much welcome.
Decco

Postby taconaut » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:36 pm

Ah, got it now!

Let's first define who's responsible for what:
The user (you) uses the controller to navigate the menu in the xmb. When a folder is being entered, the ps3 asks pms for its content and shows it. Thus, Sony has to offer a programatical interface on the ps3 where these commands can be sent through to use third party devices (iphone or other). Don't expect this to happen...

To mess things up a bit, this post mentions another way to browse and watch films. It is being done through the web browser of the ps3. The guy even shows an ipad app to start/stop etc films. No release available though...
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby Decco » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:34 pm

aha i c.

1. Not possible yet to use a "custom" remote

2. wait until we can install custom xbmc(or similar) on a hacked ps3 maybe ?

i'll stick with my ps3 controller in the meantime then :/
Decco

Postby chocolateboy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:04 pm

XBMC supports PMS and other UPnP servers, and PMS has an XBMC profile.

You can pick up a Sony PS3 remote control for less than a Sixaxis. The PS3 wakes up from the remote the same as from the controller.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby Decco » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:15 pm

The whole idea is to use my cellphone and not the controller or ps3 remote :)
Decco

Postby SharkHunter » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:55 am

I've done a remote for android. It requires a patch in PMS (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8780)
The app has some isresues and doesn't work everywhere (it seems like) but works on X10 and desire at least (and the remote feature is the thing that works best).
Search for SharkMote...
SharkHunter

Postby Decco » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:56 pm

oh cheers, will test it when i get home from work on monday on my desire HD. Will report back thnx for info.
Decco

Postby legendb » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:03 am

I think what you're after is a PS3 Remote App for your android phone. This is not currently possible at least not easily, however I notice that in Android v3.0 aka Honeycomb they have implemented the HID bluetooth profile. This means that it will be possible to use your phone as if it were a bluetooth keyboard or more appropriately a sudo ps3 remote control which uses does key mapping to make the PS3 think it's being controlled by a bt keyboard. You'll just have to wait until your phone has a version of Android >= 3.0 and somebody create an app to make use of the HID profile.
legendb

Return to General Discussion