Latest OS tools (ffmpeg, mplayer, tsmuxer, ...) discussion

Download and discuss official beta builds here

Re: Latest OS tools (ffmpeg, mplayer, tsmuxer, ...) discussi

Postby slooff » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:21 pm

Anyone else seeing this currently? I've tried to compile mplayer-mt from source today with the following sources:
Code: Select all
git clone git://git.gitorious.org/ffmpeg/ffmpeg-mt
svn checkout svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk mplayer
rm -r mplayer/ffmpeg
cp -r ffmpeg-mt/ mplayer/ffmpeg
cd mplayer
./configure
make

but even though it compiles fine, the resulting binaries are not capable of multithreading. I verified this with the following benchmark:
Code: Select all
./mplayer -vc ffh264 -vo null -benchmark -nosound -lavdopts threads=4 sample.mkv

This is on an opensuse 11.4 32-bit linux system with a 4-core AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor. I've been trying to find older source code snapshots of ffmpeg-mt but wasn't successful...
opensuse 12.1, latest PMS build, mplayer/mencoder with static libraries, movieinfo, pmsencoder, edl plugin, PS3, XBOX, Samsung ES7000
slooff

Postby mazey » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:21 am

new mencoder is out, this one looks really good..

http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php
mazey

Postby SubJunk » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:45 am

None of the bugs that are preventing us from updating have been fixed yet.
SubJunk

Postby mazey » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:46 am

SubJunk wrote:None of the bugs that are preventing us from updating have been fixed yet.

ohh bummer it looked good in theory esp the deletion of mt.
mazey

Postby SubJunk » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:13 am

well the guy who compiles them is expressing more interest in fixing ASS subtitle support now, so with a bit of luck the next build will support that and then i will submit more issues to the tracker for some of the other bugs and we can start moving towards a release we can use
you're right about the mt thing, i would love to be able to use 1 mplayer file instead of 4 :p
SubJunk

Postby G-rom » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:39 am

Did you check out mplayer2 ?
G-rom

Postby slooff » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:11 pm

mplayer2 looks good but does not bundle mencoder...
opensuse 12.1, latest PMS build, mplayer/mencoder with static libraries, movieinfo, pmsencoder, edl plugin, PS3, XBOX, Samsung ES7000
slooff

Postby mazey » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:03 am

since i dont use subtitles i been trying to get the newer then 32735 mencoder builds to work but i keep getting no sound. does pms code have to be altered in someway in the future if we use the newer ones, or is it yet another new bug introduced.
mazey

Postby SubJunk » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:45 am

mazey wrote:since i dont use subtitles i been trying to get the newer then 32735 mencoder builds to work but i keep getting no sound. does pms code have to be altered in someway in the future if we use the newer ones, or is it yet another new bug introduced.
I'm waiting until VOBSUB support is added before seeing what is causing no sound, so I don't know.

An upcoming SubJunk Build will add support for another project called MPlayer2 which will - if all goes well - replace MPlayer/MEncoder in PMS.
The short story is that the reason MPlayer has kept getting worse for over a year is because the best devs left to make MPlayer2.
SubJunk

Postby chocolateboy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:12 am

SubJunk wrote:An upcoming SubJunk Build will add support for another project called MPlayer2 which will - if all goes well - replace MPlayer/MEncoder in PMS.

As mentioned above, they've jettisoned MEncoder, and their proposed alternative isn't even vapourware at this stage.
chocolateboy
Project Member

PreviousNext

Return to Beta Builds