Switching my MKVs to MP4s

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Switching my MKVs to MP4s

Postby Canuckle » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:10 pm

Essentially, I'm trying to find some kind of universal peace for all ripped disc formats, blu-ray and dvd alike.

I've been using DVDFab for sometime to rip my media into MKVs. Problem: standard DVDs are super glitchy, unless I tweak PS3MS to play JUST the MKVs ripped from DVDs. BUT, then my BDs ripped to MKV are flaky.

And then I tinker with BDs ripped to MKVs, and then the the DVDs stop working. Which doesn't make any sense yet again.

So, I converted all my DVD MKVs to MP4. WOW. Play super fast, the Go To works far better, and there's no quality lost.

But now...I'm using a subjunk build and I'm having problems with some BD MKVs doing Go To, but...I'm wondering if it's my router that's causing that problem. New thing to look at.

MP4 just seems like a nicer format all around for video playback. Am I wrong in that thinking? What does everyone else think? What's your experience?
Canuckle

Re: Switching my MKVs to MP4s

Postby devildog93 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:19 pm

Which SubJunk build are you using? SubJunk build #19 seems to be a good release. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8883&start=0

ISO playback, seems more consistent with the latest release.

MKV seem to be playing fine....from header stripped MKV, to better consistency with TsMuxer, "Go To" appears to work well.

As well, the bug that caused MP4's with SRT subs to go glitchy when transcoded and have "accelerated" playback appears to be fixed.

Regardless if you choose to mux to MP4, or keep the files as MKV, the latest SubJunk build appears to handle both formats better than previous builds. Maybe give it a shot before burdening yourself with hours of unnecessary remuxing/re-encoding.
devildog93

Return to General Discussion