Ripped MKVs with DTS Wont Play

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Ripped MKVs with DTS Wont Play

Postby MrKubrick » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:53 pm

Hi,
I use Ps3 Media Server and use mkv2vob to rip the 720p MKV files with DTS to mpg. When I do this I select the “Use PCM instead of AC3” option because I have on Onkyo amp which can decode this audio stream. The other reason why I do this is because when I play a MKV file directly using Ps3 Media Server I must watch the file in one sitting. If I attempt to fast forward or rewind the file it stops playing and starts at the very beginning. This can be very frustrating at times. I have also noticed a loss in quality when playing the MKV directly over the network as opposed to playing the ripped file. My laptop is only 1 year old with 4 gigs of memory and dual processors.

But lately I have notice that when I rip certain mkv files using the “Use PCM instead of AC3” option the file wont play.

The play icon appears when I press play on the file and when I hit select on the ps3 controller and I can see the timecode and the movie information but the screen stays black and the movie wont play.

Does anyone else have the same problem? Your help would be really appreciated.

Thank you.
MrKubrick

Re: Ripped MKVs with DTS Wont Play

Postby MrKubrick » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:32 am

Please people - 39 views and nobody can help me out? Somebody must have an idea about how to fix this issue.
Thanks
MrKubrick

Postby meskibob » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:21 pm

Why not leave them as Mkv?
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&start=20#p16567
You could also try going through the #Transcode# folder.
If you still need help with those specific files:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=496
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby MrKubrick » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:32 pm

Hi,
I dont usually play mkvs becuase I have notice a loss in picture and audio quality when playing the files. Didnt do any tests to prove this but thats how it looks and sounds to me.

I figured out what the problem was. I had been using version 2.4.7 of mkv2vob and had been able to rip these files to play the DTS tracks via my PS3 and Onkyo amp. However, I also had "automatic updates" selected on the options tab and it had updated to version 2.4.9 which allows you to circumvent the Cine protection on these files but in doing so the DTS track gets replaced with a Dolby 5.1 track.

So if you have any type of modern amp which can decode DTS etc and want to hear the DTS track on Cine protected files, select the "Linear PCM option" on mkv2vob and stream this file to your ps3 and amp and you'll be able to circumvent the Cine protection as the processing is done on your amp and not on the ps3.
MrKubrick

Return to General Discussion