No sound on newer MKV files?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: No sound on newer MKV files?

Postby ExSport » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:04 pm

Support for header compression or ASS/SSA subtitles has nothing to do with any PMS clones. It is feature/bug of MEncoder builds.
Older ones doesn't have ASS/SSA subtitle problems but doesn't support header compression.
From opposite new versions support header compression but not ASS/SSA subtitles.
Only solution for now is to disable ASS/SSA tick box in PMS with latest versions so you will benefit with header compression and subtitles will not crash MEncoder(still ASS/SSA features as better antialiasing etc. will not be supported)
ExSport

Postby Icepick » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:32 pm

Well yes, that is basically why I am asking devildog93 why he said the SubJunk build would solve the "header compression" compatibility issue, when it clearly won't solve anything (because the included mencoder version isn't recent enough it seems). Anyways thanks for summing up what we just said, it will surely be useful to people not willing to read all those messages.
Icepick

Postby smlange » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:11 pm

elpablo wrote:A new job for shagrath?

I fixed it myself by downloading the newest (no longer the newest, though) versions of MPlayer, MPlayer-mt and FFmpeg and replacing the appropriate files in the PS3 Media Server folder with the new ones.
WIth MPlayer-p4-svn-32735, MPlayer-p4-svn-32735-mt and FFmpeg-svn-26112, I am able to play mkv 4.4.0-files.
Right now, I'm about to test the newest files (MPlayer-p4-svn-32848, MPlayer-p4-svn-32848-mt and FFmpeg-git-c9e16a9) with mkv 4.5.0-files.

*EDIT* Oops, SirReal already posted this workaround on page 2.
Also, I am streaming to a SONY KDL-40EX500.
smlange

Postby devildog93 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:22 am

Icepick wrote:Well yes, that is basically why I am asking devildog93 why he said the SubJunk build would solve the "header compression" compatibility issue, when it clearly won't solve anything (because the included mencoder version isn't recent enough it seems). Anyways thanks for summing up what we just said, it will surely be useful to people not willing to read all those messages.

To sum it up....read the changelogs of the SubJunk builds. MPlayer and MEncoder builds changed several times. 32375 was used in SB9.

I can't control the changes made to a build by a dev. That, in fact is why I stopped using those builds. One build would work fine, then the next, the same feature would be broken.

I use 412 with MEncoder/MPlayer 32735 now.
devildog93

Postby SubJunk » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:13 pm

Icepick wrote:the SubJunk build would solve the "header compression" compatibility issue
It solves it in most situations by including 2 versions of MEncoder; the old one is used for most subtitles while the newer one is used for video with no subtitles.
So it means you are still out of luck when it comes to video with ASS/SSA subtitles and header compression, but for videos that have either one or the other, it should work, which is better than any other version of the program offers.
SubJunk

Postby juanvguzman » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:36 pm

Ok this is driving me crazy, i have been reading around this forums here, well, at least what i could found related to this issues, but i cant seem to find the complete fix for my issues. I can say i have partially fixed my problems, since before reading this post here i kept getting corrupted data on some of my MKVs, now i can play them, withuot having to remux anythign, just installing the newer versions of Mplayer and Mencoder, but my issue now is that my movies play well, background audio plays well, but i get no voice. Even on the movies that used to work before.
I have messed so much with the configuration of PMS that i dont know if i may have changed somethign that cause this.
Does anybody have any idea what could it be?
juanvguzman

Postby codeine » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:16 am

Hey guys, getting same issue on some of the newest Game of thrones MKV's (mencoder i think) Sound plays fine then about 1min in then just disappears.

these are the two files ive been playing , From Eztv.

Game.of.Thrones.S03E02.720p.HDTV.x264-IMMERSE.mkv
Game.of.Thrones.S03E01.720p.HDTV.x264-EVOLVE.mkv

using 1.80 PMS

i5 2500k 4.5ghz
8gb ddr3

Hard wired over 100mb ethernet.

everything else streams fine except these latest mkv's.
codeine

Postby pjamedia » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:29 pm

I see exactly the same on those same Game of thrones mkv files. The 'Previously on game of thrones' sequence at the start is fine, as is the title sequence, then on to the first scene, and the sound is in slow motion. Plays fine from Plex server on PS3. Prefer PMS though so any pointers would be great thanks.
pjamedia

Postby Gareee » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:52 pm

codeine wrote:Hey guys, getting same issue on some of the newest Game of thrones MKV's (mencoder i think) Sound plays fine then about 1min in then just disappears.

these are the two files ive been playing , From Eztv.

Game.of.Thrones.S03E02.720p.HDTV.x264-IMMERSE.mkv
Game.of.Thrones.S03E01.720p.HDTV.x264-EVOLVE.mkv

using 1.80 PMS

i5 2500k 4.5ghz
8gb ddr3

Hard wired over 100mb ethernet.

everything else streams fine except these latest mkv's.

I'm using the UMS spinoff of PMS, and both these files play perfectly.
Gareee

Postby mazey » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:18 am

mazey

PreviousNext

Return to General Help and Support