DMG Fails to mount and WEIRD errors

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

DMG Fails to mount and WEIRD errors

Postby stef » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:01 pm

I have unsuccessfully tried to download 10 several times and each time the download stops at 10MB or 15MB or 20MB. It will not mount using the default disk image mounter or disk utility and I also tried with Firefox.

Then I remembered the that you can force mount dmg's using Toast Titanium so that is what i did only to be surprised that iTunes then opened asking me if I wanted to import the cd "Henry Mancini" "Perry Medic".

The disk image is mounting and being recognised by toast as a cd xa format. There is one aiff file....

I though this was a media server but rith now all you are serving is a a Henry Mancini cd in your dmg :P

There is something seriously wrong here...

The song plays but all I hear is static :P

Screenshots below:
stef

Re: DMG Fails to mount and WEIRD errors

Postby meskibob » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:52 pm

You did download it from here, right? http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby liddokun » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:08 pm

I had quite a few issues downloading it, and all that weirdness is just an incomplete dmg in action. The file size is a bit more than 23mb so all the previous attempts obviously leaded to some unusable files. The iTunes issue is as funny as simple: a single track of a certain lenght.... recognized as that music cd, even if there is no audio data. How cool is that? :D
Anyway use something that allows you to resume the download and insist resuming until it's completely on your disk, using an incomplete dmg is pointless, as you've seen.
liddokun

Postby stef » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:32 pm

What's weird is that both Safari and Firefox say the download is complete. I thought that there is a problem with my OSX install or a problem with the google server. I have had this issue a couple of times in the past but after a couple of retries I was successful. I have also seen this issue reported for other dmgs an awful lot since Tiger.

What I don't understand is where iTunes got the song information from. If is was just a plain aiff with no name I would have thought exactly what you had suggested but the aiff has Genre, Song Title and everything :P That's what led me to believe that perhaps there was a problem with the dmg. Other people don;t seem to have had this issue with this version at least although I have seen in reported in an earlier version.

I ended up finding an osx beta on a different server which was just zipped rather than in a dmg and I am using that at the moment and I'd just like to say it works brilliantly.

What an amazing application, I am very impressed :) This is exactly what I was looking for. I would like access to the latest one but it's probably a issue at my side so if I manage to resolve it I'll be sure to post here. Reinstalling OSX is not really an option at the moment seeing as I am in the midst of programming myself and all my work is on this machine...

What I am thinking is that the google server doesn't like the dmg mime type, perhaps if the dmg was zipped it may resolve this issue...
stef

Postby liddokun » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:04 pm

I just insisted with resuming the download (clearly stated as incomplete in Opera) and it went down nicely. With 3-4 interruptions of the download, though.
Anyway, iTunes grabs that data from the Gracenote's database, that's how you get title and artist when importing cds. That kind of information isn't inside an audio cd :D . Also the aiff is just a visual representation of an audio track, the file dosen't really exist.

Don't go all ballistic on your install, it's most likely only some temporary issue with the servers.
liddokun

Postby stef » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:07 pm

Love the word "ballistic" :P

Anyways, got it downloaded eventually but now where it was working perfectly for all my media before now I am just left with a #TRANSCODE# folder and it's not displaying any media.

I get a dialog on OSX saying that ffmpegx has crashed.. I am pretty sure I have ffmpegx installed from before and it's probably an old version although I thought that these were all prebundled with the application...

Is there a chance that it is using the ffmpegx I have installed and is it worth updating this? Not using it for anything else at the moment.

EDIT: Ahh stupid me!! I was accessing it from the Audio menu on the ps3 not the media one.

Still getting occasional ffmpegx crashes although everything seems to be working fine from the ps3 side...
stef

Return to Mac OS X Support