Changing the look and feel toolkit used by PMS

Discuss issues related to PS3 Media Server development (only for programmers)

Changing the look and feel toolkit used by PMS

Postby muppetwonder » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:51 pm

Hi all,

First, please excuse my ignorance if I'm going to be asking stupid questions, as I'm diving right in without too much investigation, only because it's so exciting to be able to transcode stuff and stream it to my PS3.

Anyway, I'm trying to get the 1.20 beta of PMS to work on my dual processor G5 PPC Mac running 10.5.x.

As far as I am able to tell so far, the main obstacle is that PMS is dependent on JRE 1.6, but since Sun and Apple stopped supporting the Java on the PPC as of version 1.6, PMS won't work.

So, I got the bright idea of installing Open JDK on my PPC. However, trying to run PMS fails because Open JDK supports X11 and not GTK, so I get

javax.swing.UnsupportedLookAndFeelException: [GTK look and feel - com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel] not supported on this platform

So, my question is, what is the easiest way to change the look and feel library dependency to Motif, to get past this hump?

Thanks!
muppetwonder

Re: Changing the look and feel toolkit used by PMS

Postby muppetwonder » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:53 pm

I went ahead and delved into the code and found the appropriate routine in LooksFrame.java that would do what I need. Alas, the project is stalled. I haven't investigated in depth to be able to tell for certain, but it looks like there are problems with Open JDK, but basically PMS is crashing when I run it with Open JDK 1.7.

Oh well.
muppetwonder

Return to Developers