srt file only recognized after restart of PMS

Download and discuss official beta builds here

srt file only recognized after restart of PMS

Postby Duumke » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:48 am

Hi all,

Don't know if it's been brought up before (I've searched, but couldn't find anything about it).

The problem is that whenever I'm adding subtitle's to an episode of a serie (srt file), I'll have to shut down and start PMS again before it shows up.
I'm not using the media library option from PMS, just the few local file shares on my server.

Another side effect (don't know if they're linked) is that it takes really long to shut down PMS (a javaw.exe proces stays running) when I've been watching anything on PMS on the last couple of minutes.
If I didn't watch anything, it just shuts down normally.

I'm running SubJunk build SB13 with java 6 update 23 (build 1.6.0_23-b05).
The OS it's running on is a Windows 2008 R2 machine (64 bits).
And I've tried switching between 32 bit and 64 bit java versions.

I'm wondering if I'm the only one with these "problems" (well more annoyances actually).
And more important, if there's anything I can do about it?

Thanx for reading this.

Greetings,
Duumke
Duumke

Re: srt file only recognized after restart of PMS

Postby mazey » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:01 am

Duumke wrote:Another side effect (don't know if they're linked) is that it takes really long to shut down PMS (a javaw.exe proces stays running) when I've been watching anything on PMS on the last couple of minutes.
If I didn't watch anything, it just shuts down normally.

its not linked i have subtitles disabled and this affects me also it happens in all builds even the latest SVN.
PMS 1.90.2 SNAPSHOT - HP Proliant Microserver N54L 2.2Ghz - Windows Home Server 2011 (64bit) 8GB - Bravia KDL55HX750
mazey

Postby Duumke » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:34 pm

Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

Anyone got an idea on how to solve this?
I use external subtitles almost all the time, so it's quite annoying when I have to restart PMS just to let it pick up the subtitles (I'm watching a lot of series and add the subs just before watching).
Duumke

Postby Madoka » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:08 pm

Perhaps they could add a "Refresh Folders" option to the contextual menu of the Task Bar icon, like right above "Quit"? That way if you add anything, .srt files, new videos, you could just have PMS look again. I don't know how hard that is tho....
Madoka

Postby Duumke » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:14 pm

Sounds like a nice option.
But I try to run PMS as a service as much as possible.
Duumke

Postby Madoka » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:46 pm

Sorry for the stupid question, but is there an advantage to running it as a service other than it's always on if you computer is on?
Madoka

Postby Duumke » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:55 pm

Madoka wrote:Sorry for the stupid question, but is there an advantage to running it as a service other than it's always on if you computer is on?

In my case... Yes.
I'm running PMS on a Windows 2008 R2 server, and running it as a service allows me to start it without having to log onto the (headless) server.
For most others it's probably not as interesting to run it as a service.
Duumke

Return to Beta Builds