PMS 1.10.5 works including Transcode on G5 with leopard

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: PMS 1.10.5 works including Transcode on G5 with leopard

Postby albabe » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:53 am

Hey muppetwonder (Great Handle)!

I was assuming my meandering comment would float lifelessly in the ether for all eternity.

It's my girlfriend's funky computer at home. And it's still running 10.4.11... so I guess I need to upgrade it to 10.5 before I even get started. She's afraid of messing up her iTunes library, which is why we haven't upgraded her.

I guess any new versions of pS3 Media Server won't work on PPC. Do you know... I couldn't find any info searching here.

Email me with the email address on my Comicon page (above) and maybe we can chat on the phone about it.

Thanx again!
albabe

Postby blppt » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:55 am

I'd send you my working install, but it would be useless...I had to manually compile everything as indicated in the beginning, THEN use the pre-modded pms for it to work on my Quad PPC...it wouldnt work properly without following those steps first.

But afterwards, it works as well as PMS on my Intel Hackintosh, full quad-core transcode on my G5 Quad.
blppt

Postby albabe » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:45 pm

Hey blppt and muppetwonder:

Man, I'd really like to ask you guys a few questions.

I'm curious if there is another client that does the same kinda transcoding that PS3 Media Server does? Or if this client will work with a PPC Mac at any time (I assume not).

I have so many questions, would it be possible to chat with one of you guys on Yahoo IM?
albabe

Postby muppetwonder » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:51 am

Hi albabe,

Good thing you PM'd me as I don't come onto the board that often.

It's my girlfriend's funky computer at home. And it's still running 10.4.11... so I guess I need to upgrade it to 10.5 before I even get started. She's afraid of messing up her iTunes library, which is why we haven't upgraded her.

Trying to get this working on 10.4.11 might be a problem. I suspect that there are bugs in the Xcode 2.x series, the developer suite of tools that is compatible with Tiger. These bugs may make compiling ffmpeg and mencoder difficult to get right. As mentioned earlier in this thread, the OP suggested that Xcode 3.1 (compatible with Leopard) be used. It may very well still work, but since I'm on Leopard already, there's no way for me to try this out.

I guess any new versions of pS3 Media Server won't work on PPC. Do you know... I couldn't find any info searching here.

No, the new versions of PS3 Media Server won't work on PPC, because Sun and Apple dropped support for the PPC for their Java SDK 1.6, which the 1.20.x series of the PS3 Media Server is dependent on. I've been trying to figure out if it's worth my while to attempt to compile the open source Java SDK 1.6 on PPC, but it looks like a lot of work.

I'm curious if there is another client that does the same kinda transcoding that PS3 Media Server does? Or if this client will work with a PPC Mac at any time (I assume not)

There are some commercial ones like iSedora and Wild Media Server.

I would seriously consider convincing your girlfriend to upgrade to Leopard. :-)
muppetwonder

Postby blppt » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:40 am

albabe wrote:Hey blppt and muppetwonder:

I'm curious if there is another client that does the same kinda transcoding that PS3 Media Server does?

I had been wondering that very thing myself before I *finally* got pms transcoding working on my G5 Quad. I'm using Leopard 10.5.8 though.

I cant really suggest anything...I've worked with linux and FreeBSD before, so I'm sorta OK at using the command line (./configure, make, make install, etc) and resolving dependencies, but it was all very easy following the step by step at the beginning of this thread *AND* the step by step for installing ffmpeg and the like.

What I havent been able to figure out is why my compiled mencoder and mencoder_mt didnt work, and simply downloading the pre-compiled pms at the beginning of this thread worked perfectly, but only AFTER I went through the steps of installing/compiling all of those things via the commandline.

Weird, eh?
blppt

Postby muppetwonder » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:55 pm

What I havent been able to figure out is why my compiled mencoder and mencoder_mt didnt work, and simply downloading the pre-compiled pms at the beginning of this thread worked perfectly, but only AFTER I went through the steps of installing/compiling all of those things via the commandline.

It may well be that the act of compiling and more importantly, "sudo make install" installs some of the dependent libraries that would otherwise not be available on your system. This would include things like libavfilter, for example.
muppetwonder

Postby dan23osu » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:12 pm

Hi, I'm new to PS3 and this forum! I've been a Mac user for over 20 years and really appreciate the work that was done here to circumvent yet another intentional attempt to ignore PowerPC Macs. Late PowerPC Macs (even fast G4s) are capable of much more than Apple and other developers would like to admit. Just ask the guys that compile VLC. Most developers are just too lazy to continue to make Universal Binary releases of software.

At any rate, can this fix work on a fast G4, say a 1.5 GHz PowerBook or a 1.42 GHz eMac? I wouldn't expect to stream 1080i/720p/1080p video to my PS3, but 480p DVD quality should theoretically be possible (barely) as long as PMS doesn't eat up the processor resources like Flash tends to. If it's possible, would a fast single core be able to transcode 480p video in real time, or is that too much for the processor to handle? Also, would upgrading to a dual G5 be required - could a dual 1.25/1.42 GHz G4 MDD handle the load since the code was optimized to utilize multiple threads (the only problem could be the 167 MHz bus on these machines)?

Anything here would help! Thanks in advance!
dan23osu

Postby dzuroff » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:16 pm

I know this is an old post, but I would also like to express my appreciation for working on getting PMS to work on a Powermac. I recently bought a used G5 (dual 2.0ghz) and even though it is over six years old it runs great! I have found that a lot of applications are moving to the Intel platform which is a real bummer so I am always happy to see people stepping up to the plate to keep the Powermac alive.

I am going to install the Powermac version tonight and see how it works out. Thanks again!
dzuroff

Postby Raptor399 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:58 pm

If you check the build script (ps3mediaserver/osx/contrib/build-pms-osx.sh), it should be able to compile PMS and most of its 3rd party software for PowerPC Macs.
In theory it is just a matter of changing the architecture to "ppc", but I never really tried it myself.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby ctene » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:22 am

I was not getting any notifications about all the posts here, just because of a PM I looked and it seems like the thread has taken on a life of it's own :) I will look in the next few days over where the code is right now and see if I can adapt it somehow and perhaps maybe manage to make the install procedure somewhat easier :)
ctene

PreviousNext

Return to Mac OS X Support