revision 444 GUI issue

Download and discuss official beta builds here

revision 444 GUI issue

Postby dummy_user » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:21 am

I've given revision 444 a try on a mac and the GUI is being cut off big time. For winxp it looks nice. With the new startup size, both horizontal and vertical scroll bars are being shown. Half of the tabs are hidden in the scrollable area and the status bar on the bottom of the application isn't visible.

Issues I see with this change:
- The status bar should always be visible as it is there to show important information. I'd suggest making every tabpane scrollable and not the frame itself.
- The resizing of the tabpane doesn't behave nicely, it takes up a lot more space then it needs. I guess a preferred size is being used somewhere and the tabpane wants to layout itself to show all tabs. This results in a minium width of about 1200px for the horizontal scrollbar not to be shown; before it looked fine when being 1000px large.
I see this change as a regression, as a large majority of the users have screens allowing to display pms as it was sized before, but now by default the app has to be resized or scrolled to see everything.
Everything displayed on a mac (buttons, tab headers...) takes up more space then on win or linux
I'll post a print screen if someone would like to see how it looks.

I haven't tested the other changes between 412 and 444 though. Thanks for taking pms some steps further :)
is taconaut again
dummy_user

Re: revision 444 GUI issue

Postby mazey » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:23 am

http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver ... tail?r=446

i think 446 was done to fix that either that or it made it worst, time will tell.

protected static final Dimension PREFERRED_SIZE = new Dimension(1060, 782);
PMS 1.90.2 Snapshot - Intel Celeron G1840 2.8Ghz / Asus Z97m-plus / Corsair Vengeance 8GB / Windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit)
mazey

Postby dummy_user » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:50 am

I've tried it yesterday evening and didn't notice new check ins :) I'll give it a new try and will report back.
is taconaut again
dummy_user

Postby chocolateboy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:58 pm

It's really difficult to get this right for everybody. Not only are there big differences between Linux, Windows and Mac OS X in terms of the sizes of their "looks and feels", there are even huge differences between XP and Windows 7, as well as differences between locales (i.e. translated text taking up more/less space). The issue that scrollbars were added to fix has people on all three of the major platforms complaining that they couldn't see parts of the GUI. That's not to mention users of netbooks, portable devices, BSDs, Solaris &c. In fact the only platform that seems to work fine with the old default width/height (1000x750) is Windows XP >= 1024x768 (i.e. the "majority" of desktops). [1] [2]

Prior to that commit, I'd never been able to see the whole PMS GUI on Linux/GTK. Now I can, but I agree that the addition of scrollbars seems to have encouraged the layout manager to use/waste a lot more space than I'd like.

Your suggestion sounds to me like a better solution than trying to solve everything in the top-level frame:

dummy_user wrote:I'd suggest making every tabpane scrollable and not the frame itself.

I'll have a play with that if I get a chance, but please feel free to beat me (or anyone else) to it with a patch. :-)
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby dummy_user » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:22 pm

It's definitely not easy to suit everybody on different platforms, but lets give it a try :)

I've changed the transcoding settings tab as a poc and prefer the result, even though it's not perfect either. Because of the used layout manager, when selecting a view which wouldn't need scrolling, the bars are still being displayed the same way as for the view containing the biggest component.

As attaching the patch fails, here the changes against rev442
Code: Select all
Index: net/pms/newgui/TrTab2.java
===================================================================
--- net/pms/newgui/TrTab2.java   (revision 442)
+++ net/pms/newgui/TrTab2.java   (working copy)
@@ -122,8 +122,8 @@

public JComponent build() {
       FormLayout mainlayout = new FormLayout(
-            "left:pref, pref, 7dlu, pref, pref, 0:grow", //$NON-NLS-1$
-            "top:p, 3dlu" ); //$NON-NLS-1$
+            "left:pref, pref, 7dlu, pref, pref, 10:grow", //$NON-NLS-1$
+            "10:grow" ); //$NON-NLS-1$
       PanelBuilder builder = new PanelBuilder(mainlayout);
         builder.setBorder(Borders.DLU4_BORDER);

@@ -140,7 +140,10 @@
       cl = new CardLayout();
         tabbedPane = new JPanel (cl);
         tabbedPane.setBorder(BorderFactory.createEmptyBorder());
-      return tabbedPane;
+       
+        JScrollPane ps = new JScrollPane(tabbedPane);
+        ps.setBorder(null);
+      return ps;
    }

public JComponent buildLeft() {
is taconaut again
dummy_user

Postby SubJunk » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:51 pm

It's a good idea. I'm not sure if it's better than before, because it introduces times when there are 3 scrollbars on the same window (2 horizontal and 1 vertical) instead of just 1 horizontal in r446.
I'll try combining it with other changes and put them in r448. Thanks for the contrib :)
SubJunk

Postby chocolateboy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:10 pm

dummy_user wrote:here the changes against rev442

Thanks. Applied in r448.

SubJunk wrote:I'll try combining it with other changes and put them in r448.

Already on it. :-) Patches welcome for the "About" tab, which is the only tab that isn't correctly displaying scrollbars when needed.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby SubJunk » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:26 am

Cool, good work choc :) I've continued it in r449 and r450.
SubJunk

Postby mazey » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:39 am

SubJunk wrote:Cool, good work choc :) I've continued it in r449 and r450.

cant wait to see the new look. havent tried anything newer then 441/sb12 though.. wtb updates... :D im mostly hoping for the speeds on the status bar not to be cut off and having to resize everytime i launch it the first time. what would be good is if it remembered its positions.
PMS 1.90.2 Snapshot - Intel Celeron G1840 2.8Ghz / Asus Z97m-plus / Corsair Vengeance 8GB / Windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit)
mazey

Postby shagrath » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:44 am

Working fine on Ubuntu. Very good job on the scrollbars modification! The original JScrollpane patch was a little barebone :p
shagrath
Project Lead

Next

Return to Beta Builds