No sound on newer MKV files?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: No sound on newer MKV files?

Postby psxgamer » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:00 pm

krause27: Jeesus Christ I could kiss you man!

That great guide of yours worked lika a charm. I've tested it on three files that didn't work before, and they were all fixed! Why isn't your post a sticky allready?!
psxgamer

Postby devildog93 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:49 am

psxgamer wrote:krause27: Jeesus Christ I could kiss you man!

That great guide of yours worked lika a charm. I've tested it on three files that didn't work before, and they were all fixed! Why isn't your post a sticky allready?!

It was not a sticky because it was answered well before in this same thread.

It is NOW posted in the tutorial thread though v.3.4.0 or older of MKVToolNix accomplishes the same thing without having to make adjustments.

Here's a guide for that..... as stated earlier in this thread.
1) Download v.3.4.0 or older of MKVToolnix
2) Remux the "no audio" file
3) Play the new file
devildog93

PS3 Media Player Working AGAIN!!!!!

Postby windmill007 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:46 am

Awesome. I can now watch the MKV files without running tools (remuxing) that previously were giving me corrupted data. All I did was go to http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php and under Build selection table selected my type needed. Since I have a dual core Intel I choose p4 mt file. Downloaded it. I then went to my PS3 media player location ((C:\Program Files (x86)\PS3 Media Server\win32) (your location may be different depending on operating system)) containing the mencoder.exe and mplayer.exe (renamed the originals)and extracted the mplayer.exe and mencoder.exe in there from my download. I also made a copy of mencoder.exe and renamed it to mencoder_mt.exe.

That's it and now I can play my MKV files that I have been having trouble with lately. I think you either got corrupt data displayed or no sound depending on what ps3 media server you had. But I think this will fix both problems. Hope this helps :)
:D
windmill007

Postby krause27 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:10 am

To answer you Coltaine79, I use mkvinfo(comes in mkvtoolnix) load the file in question and if compression was used, you will see a line stating compression under the audio track description.
krause27

Postby windmill007 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:12 pm

I see there is a new version of mplayer and mencoder out there (12/4/2010). I am updating my ps3 media server with these new versions and will try it later and see if everything is fine or better :)
windmill007

Postby Icepick » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:28 am

Hello,

I replaced mencoder.exe and mencoder_mt.exe with the newest version (MPlayer-p4-svn-32735 and MPlayer-p4-svn-32735-mt from http://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer-win32/files/), but now all the subtitles are not working anymore (wether I rely on default subtitles enable or I use custom transcoding settings, also if I put the orignal versions of these files back the subtitles are working again... so it's most likely not a problem of PS3 Media Server settings). Anyone found a fix to this problem (which was reported previously) ?
Icepick

Postby Icepick » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:35 am

Oh.. the issue lies in ASS/SSA support of this new version of mencoder. I don't know how to fix it, so I just disabled it in PS3 Media Server settings by unticking "ASS/SSA Subtitles" in the "Transcoding Settings" tab for "mencoder", hope this helps and I with ASS/SSA could be fixed as the rendering of subtitles with this feature is better and more flexible.
Icepick

Postby devildog93 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:55 am

Icepick wrote:Oh.. the issue lies in ASS/SSA support of this new version of mencoder. I don't know how to fix it, so I just disabled it in PS3 Media Server settings by unticking "ASS/SSA Subtitles" in the "Transcoding Settings" tab for "mencoder", hope this helps and I with ASS/SSA could be fixed as the rendering of subtitles with this feature is better and more flexible.

Known issue with the latest beta build. ASS/SSA has to be disabled for subs to work. Glad you discovered it on your own. The SubJunk releases allow for ASS/SSA support while still taking advantage of the updated MEncoder/MPlayer engines.

www.spirton.com
devildog93

Postby Icepick » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:12 am

Ah, interesting, I wasn't aware of this custom build. Thanks you, I'll give it a try :)
Icepick

Postby Icepick » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:36 pm

Well, unfortunately with "PS3 Media Server (SubJunk Build) 1.20.441-SB12" I could not get the MKV with "header compression" working... they fail just like with the genuine PMS, although I reckon the included mencoder.exe and mencoder_mt.exe are updated to a more recent version (r30369-4.2.5)... I still get "Corrupted data". Is it normal ? Is there something special I should do to support header compression with SubJunk build ?

The only thing I've tested that works (without ASS/SSA support though) is mencoder version r32735-4.2.5 (the one I mentioned earlier) :S
Icepick

PreviousNext

Return to General Help and Support