Solution to (how to fix) DLNA protocol error 2104

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: Solution to (how to fix) DLNA protocol error 2104

Postby mystiqu » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:24 am

Hi

I have exactly the same issues.
My biggest enemy is the annoying 2104 dlna error, it's very rare that I can see even a 30 min eposide of some tv show without this occurring at least once.

I have 2 issues:
1)
2104 error.
Isually I can stop the movie, wait approx. 30 seconds and start it again - but sometimes I have to reboot the PS3 in order to stream again.
I haven´t tried the suggested solution on the dlink router yet, will do it soon (I have a dlink dir-655) - however I have a hard time understanding why the router would be the problem.
Also, isn´t it a bit dangerous to put the PS3 on the DMZ?

2)
The NIC on the PS3 just dies after streaming HD content, like a MKV from a BR rip. It seems to be related to the streaming speed since it goes away if I limit the maximum bandwith to approx. 20 mbit/s.
But streaming 1080p content over 20 mbit.... not so fun...
I have to manually "test" the connection in the xmb on the PS3 (under network settings) in order to "repair" the connection.
Could this be a PS3 hardware issue?

Note 1: I have a AMD Athlon II X3 (triple core), 2,7GHz with 8gb DDR3 on Windows 7 64-bit and enough free space on the disk where PS3MS is installed.
It should be enough for the PS3MS to stream most content :)

Note 2: I´ve noticed that after every PS3 software update the 2104 error occur more and more - but it might just be my imagination :)

Regards,
Mike
mystiqu

Postby mystiqu » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:54 pm

I´ve just tried putting the PS3 on the DMZ, and my god what a difference :o
-No more 2104 errors :twisted:
-Increased performance (less lag and stuttering when bitrate is too high for the available bandwith)
-No more issues where the sound stops and the movie continue for approx 10s before freezing, and then catching up after a while

I´ve played 10-15 movies without any issues at all. Before I could not stream for more than 15-20min at a time before it froze or I get the 2104 error.

Can anyone explain what the difference is putting the PS3 on the DMZ?
I mean, the traffic is never routed outside the router and the PS3 and the server is on the same subnet - it should work without putting the ps3 on the dmz.
mystiqu

Postby devildog93 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:44 pm

Are you sure it wasn't the reboot of the router. Sometimes I like to shut everything down, check my plugs then reboot the router if I get strange errors occuring frequently.

Generally I can just disable my internet connection and/or media server connection in XMB Network Settings then back out, then go back in and re-enable them. My servers pop back up without a hitch, and I generally don't see the errors as long as I don't do anything to my network.

But hey, if it works, what the hell....why, no idea because your logic makes sense to me about subnet and such.

I tried that a while back and it did not work for me ( I was trying to achieve a NAT 2 or better connection for PSN which I ended up going around by port forwarding the appropriate PSN ports ) In the DMZ, my PMS couldn't see PS3.
devildog93

Postby mystiqu » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:53 am

Hi

I´m positive - I´ve rebooted my router several times before and it has never made any improvement.
Disabling the connection in the XMB Network Settings was something I did on a daily basis ;)

One thing I come to think of was throttling, maybe the router for some reason thinks there is too much data on the particular port (5001 in my case)?
That would explain the improved performance (able to stream faster/more) - but perhaps not the 2104 error..
However, I haven´t seen anything about it in the logs - but it´s definitely something others with these issues should look into.

It´s a bit strange you can´t see the PS3 when it´s on the DMZ - don´t have any explaination there :roll:
(maybe the router puts it on a special subnet and then forwards all traffic from the outside to the PS3?)
mystiqu

Postby devildog93 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:36 am

mystiqu wrote:
It´s a bit strange you can´t see the PS3 when it´s on the DMZ - don´t have any explaination there :roll:
(maybe the router puts it on a special subnet and then forwards all traffic from the outside to the PS3?)

Do you mean in the Windows network map??? or in PMS?

If the Windows network map is what you mean, my PS3 never shows up there. Whether in or out of the DMZ, or even with a direct connect.

I think it is a PS3 or Sony programming issue. No idea what.

If you mean in PMS....it might be as you say. Just strange that it would work if on a different subnet. So I don't know about that one. I also never had issues when I used a direct connection...other than lag gaming online because of sharing my WiFi NIC's internet connection. I guess if it still works on the XMB, who cares, but it is nice to have everything working right.

I think I am going to disable uPnP on my router, because I found I also had more errors whenever I have it on.
devildog93

Postby lothaer » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:30 am

thank you very much putting my PS3 on the DMZ worked wonders.
lothaer

Postby lpdzinz » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:57 pm

I disabled internet and media server options on the ps3 (in network settings) then put the ps3 in the DMZ also. Works great again. Thanks
lpdzinz

Postby StuartJRoss » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:15 pm

This 2104 error is absolutely killing us here. We've had no problems with PMS andnow everything has gone utterly pear shaped.

I notice some users are saying put it in a DMZ. Does anyone with a Sky DLink router know how to go about doing this? I'd like to try it and see if it helps

Cheers

Stu
StuartJRoss

Postby StuartJRoss » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:56 am

devildog93 wrote:with 2104 I simply go restart my Media Server Connection. Disable it, back out then go in and re-enable it.

And then how long does it stay fixed for? How long till you get a 2104 again?

Stu
StuartJRoss

Postby dal » Sat May 26, 2012 8:32 pm

pissedatps3 wrote:I have a DLINK router. Which I think is the cause of this most irritating problem. I get this error time after time. Log says its timing out. BS!! I went into my dlink router and found a section in the firewall settings. Enabling the DMZ caused it to start working as soon as I clicked the save button.

go to your router address. For me it is 192.168.0.1
Select the advanced tab, then select firewall settings. On this screen you should have the SPI enabled, UDP address restricted, TCP address and port restricted, disabled the anti spoof checking, enable the DMZ (here you have to put in your PS3's IP address, also further down the page, you should have PPTP checked, IPsec (VPN) checked, RTSP checked, and SIP checked. Click save. Then go back and try your video streaming on your ps3. Cross your fingers that I am correct, and enjoy your viewing. I have done every single one of these posts, and none of them worked for me. However this one thing I did worked. I do not know what the setting should be on the linksys, or any other router firewall, but I expect that it is similar if you can find your way around it.

You genius !!!!!!! Have been having problems for weeks, couldnt find anything.... This worked straight away
Thanks dude !!!!!!!!!! :D
dal

PreviousNext

Return to General Help and Support