This is an addition to the Playstation3 Media Server core adding functionality of remote shutdown (have a look at features for details). Personally I feel this would be worthwhile integrating to the program, however if maintainers don't like this and users still want it I'll consider writing it in the form of a plugin instead.
Anyhow, here are the details:
- Remote (via UPnP) shutdown of Windows, Mac and Linux
- Customisable shutdown command: Change shutdown parameters/command to whatever suits you.
- Allows user to submit password as might be required for shutdown on Linux/Mac machines (sudo)
- Enable/disable option
- There is no authentification needed from the UPnP client in order to execute a shutdown command.
- Possibly needed computer user account password is stored as plain text as part of the configuration.
File name: ps3mediaserver+shutdown_binary.zip File size: 56.21 MB
File name: ps3mediaserver+shutdown_source_included.zip File size: 152.48 MB
Brief user guide:
- Start program by opening the PMS.jar file in the main directory.
- Configuration is stored under the "General Configuration" tab. Enabling, setting command and password is all done from here.
- The shutdown is executed by opening the dummy video called "Shutdown computer" in the "#Video settings#" folder.
- ONLY ENABLE THIS ADDITION IF YOU'RE IN AN UNTHREATENED HOME ENVIRONMENT.
- Enjoy the software, thinking of those steps you don't have to walk to shut down your computer anymore!
Source code with instructions:
The work was carried out on build 412 2010-10-04T18:23:16.263731Z, use this to ensure functionality.
Quicker, less portable:
PMS_shutdown (replace corresponding files in build 412 and recompile)
More portable, although manually modifying files required
Manual code insertion (see in which files and where code was inserted and manually insert it yourself, likely to work with future releases as well).
Some design choices explained:
- The reason I put it here is because it's treated as a "video" and as such it didn't feel worth it making a new folder with a name like System settings. Such a folder wouldn't serve any purpose to Music or Image viewing either.
- The shutdown option is disabled by default due to previous mentioned security issues.
Possible further additional features:
Custom user commands: While it technically is possible to supply any command (i.e. non-shutdown commands) to the shutdown computer button it might be an interesting idea to allow users to dynamically add their own commands to new dummy videos.
If you have any questions or want to discuss something just reply to this thread or send me a pm.