Windows 7 prevent os from sleep not working?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: Windows 7 prevent os from sleep not working?

Postby Rau » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:39 am

phdeez wrote:Another data point, if it matters, is I do not have PS3MS installed as a service. Maybe that would make a difference? I'm going to try and find another computer with Win7x32 and see what happens...

I aslo have the issue (on Win 7 6 bit) that "prevent idling to sleep" when sharing media does nothing - computer falls asleep according to the timeout set in power management.

Does anyone know:
- If PS3MS is NOT installed as a windows service, is it even possible for Win to know that streaming is happening?
- Does the "prevent idling to sleep" work if you DO have PS3MS installed as a windows service?
- Is any resolution to this problem (sleeping during streaming) known?

Also - are they any advantages / disadvantages to installing PS3MS as a windows service?
Rau

Postby bdwright77 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:38 am

Has anyone found a solution to this issue? I was hoping not to set my computer to sleep after 3 hours, but that may be the only way at this time.
bdwright77

Postby probedb » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:38 pm

Surely if it just touched a file in the share directory that would suffice? I've had too many problems with this so gave up and have a playon heading my way.
probedb

Postby knicknak » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:02 am

Same problem here. The setting worked in Vista, but now that I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, sleep kicks in while streaming.

I do have PMS installed as a service.
knicknak

Postby ishareit » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:58 pm

I wrote a simple program that I installed as a service that keeps pinging PS3 every minute. If PS3 is active, then the program signals Windows to not enter sleep mode. When it cannot ping PS3, it sends a normal signal to Windows that starts Windows idle timer.

Works perfect.
ishareit

Postby devildog93 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:16 am

ishareit wrote:I wrote a simple program that I installed as a service that keeps pinging PS3 every minute. If PS3 is active, then the program signals Windows to not enter sleep mode. When it cannot ping PS3, it sends a normal signal to Windows that starts Windows idle timer.

Works perfect.

WOW.....SWEET!!!!! :? Could you post it rather than just teasing all these users that have been searching for quite some time now for a solution to this problem.

Not trying to be a dick dude, but not every user of PMS is a computer whiz :ugeek: . Just a thought.

:twisted: D93
devildog93

Postby The Punisher » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:50 pm

Any work around for this on win 7 64bit ?

I have my PC to sleep after 45 minutes, don't really want to change it to 0 or 3 hours as that defeats the purpose of saving power. Specially when my PC is so loud LOL

If anyone has a solution please post.
The Punisher

Postby danse » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:23 am

Hi,

I was having the same problem also, it's gone now, but I'm not sure what exactly fixed it.

I know I've tried "Install as a Windows Service" which made no difference.
I then went to Services > PS3 Media Server. Stopped the service and changed the setting to Disable.
Reboot.
Opened up PS3MS, and it's been working as it should. Stays awake while I'm watching movies and goes to sleep after I've stopped streaming to the PS3.

This is probably not much help, but like I said, I've no idea why it's working properly now...
danse

Postby amp1080 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:52 am

Has anyone found a fix for this? My Prevent OS from sleeping doesn't even work on a 32bit system. I've tried several things but it will not work!
amp1080

Postby amp1080 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:35 pm

So i believe i found the fix! Install it as a service then in Windows go to the firewall set up, create an inbound rule and add the pms.exe program, associate it to the PS3 Media Server service. This fixed it for me, at least for now, I'll confirm after some more testing tonight.
amp1080

PreviousNext

Return to General Help and Support