A lot of questions :)

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

A lot of questions :)

Postby Tass_bur » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:51 pm

Hi there,

I am new to this forum and first of all I would like to apologize if some of my questions have already been answered, but I have tried searching but I have not been lucky with my searches. Please point me in the right directions with a link if there are answers already 
I just found this server yesterday and I am quite amazed with my finding so far.

But I have some questions to how things work. (and how to setup it all )

I have a hp mediasmart server with ps3 server installed on, I have already 2 other streaming servers which is preinstalled on the machine pvconnect (twonkymedia) and media connect.

Before I found ps3 media server I riped my dvd’s into 1 big vob file using dvd decrypter.

I liked this setup because it streamed flawlessly movies onto my ps3 with the minus of
A. No subtitles (English is my second language and although both my girlfriend and I consider our self good at it we would prefer subtitles if possible, also we have Chinese, Japanese and French movies which we would like to watch in its original language (which we don’t speak))
B. No DTS. If possible I do prefer DTS instead of dolby digital but I could live without it.
So back to yesterday, I found the server and I tried to rip a dvd into ISO files and vola I found out that I could actually stream movies with subtitles now, awesome 

Now finally for my questions:
1. Is it possible to stream the movies with subtitles from vob files instead of ISO? Reason I ask this is that I like to be able to stream files onto my different pc’s too via wireless and currently I can’t figure out how to do that with ISO files (using nero showtime) And I don’t want to ask if I can use ps3 media server on a pc, as the name says it all :P
2. Is it possible to stream /transcode DTS to my ps3?
3. Is it possible to transcode in dvd quality so that I ONLY transcode the dvds to be able to watch subtitles on them and don’t lose any quality on my dvd’s?
4. If I have to stream ISO to get subtitles on it , is it possible to make it easier to do (make it into one file/folder click play no setting up transcode no looking at all files on the dvd) Reason I ask this is that yes I can figure it out. But my girlfriend is NOT into all the names of the dvd files. I was just thinking that if one could chose a “folder/File” to play (the iso) it would itself find the main move and transcode it with the subtitles chosen on the media server itself.
I think that was it for now. I hope that someone can answer me the questions.

Thank you all in advance and sorry for the long post.

Yours Sincerely

Tass
Tass_bur

Re: A lot of questions :)

Postby meskibob » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:25 pm

You really need to work on your searching skilz ;)
I've given you some search keyword suggestions along with the answers.

1.) Kinda. If the subs are external, you'll have to transcode, even though .vob by itself streams fine. PS3 limitation.
Keyword: "vob subtitles", on the first page, pretty explanatory - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=635&p=3483&hilit=vob+subtitles#p3304

2.) Implemented in the 1.09 betas
Keyword: "DTS", several posts just on first page

3.) Yes. Just make sure you have the transcoder settings properly set up (like the "video quality settings") ;)
Keyword: no search necessary. Easily determined by just playing around with the PMS settings

4.) Already been requested. Currently not possible. Probably won't be possible until DLNA allows for DVD/BD menus.
Keyword: "menu", several posts directly answering your question on the first page
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Tass_bur » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:03 pm

Thanks for your post, I am trying hard with the seach option :s

I tried to answer your post as good as I could. Again i appologize because I have most likely misunderstood something :(

meskibob wrote:You really need to work on your searching skilz ;)
I've given you some search keyword suggestions along with the answers.

1.) Kinda. If the subs are external, you'll have to transcode, even though .vob by itself streams fine. PS3 limitation.
Keyword: "vob subtitles", on the first page, pretty explanatory - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=635&p=3483&hilit=vob+subtitles#p3304

I found this one but it started talking about avi files not vob files?

2.) Implemented in the 1.09 betas
Keyword: "DTS", several posts just on first page

That explains it i have 1.04 server :)

3.) Yes. Just make sure you have the transcoder settings properly set up (like the "video quality settings") ;)
Keyword: no search necessary. Easily determined by just playing around with the PMS settings

Im not very good at understanding the different settings so im afraid to mess around with stuff i do not understand :( I will give the newest version a look though see if its better :)

4.) Already been requested. Currently not possible. Probably won't be possible until DLNA allows for DVD/BD menus.
Keyword: "menu", several posts directly answering your question on the first page

Im sorry I did not think about searching for menu as the actually menu im not really interested in :( just the main movie. I thought that when things like Decrypter could find the main movie maybe a server could too :)

I tried the new server. Still Cant get DTS to work. I tried using the transcode and then the DTS option (also turned it on....I think on the server)

But only dolby digital.

:s I must be doing something wrong
Last edited by Tass_bur on Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tass_bur

Postby meskibob » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:45 pm

Tass_bur wrote:Vob Subtitles: I found this one but it started talking about avi files not vob files?
Yes, it does also talk about different ways add external subs to Xvid avi files, but the initial issue is the same. Even though .vob and xvid .avi stream ok, the PS3 doesn't allow streamed external subtitles. You need to transcode, period.

Tass_bur wrote:I thought that when things like Decrypter could find the main movie maybe a server could too :)
Yes, there are plenty of programs that can read the .iso and just play back the movie. But there are none that can currently also transcode to MPEG and do it all in memory (not create temp files) so they can be used as a pass-through for streaming. As a side note, I mentioned "menu" as I believe that is where the various .iso programs actually grab the file info to play the various video parts in the correct order.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Tass_bur » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:01 pm

I was just trying to point out that I dont think like you when I search :oops: which is probably why I have such bad results :( Would never think of searching for "menu"
Tass_bur

Return to General Help and Support