Transcode and Copy movie to PS3

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

Transcode and Copy movie to PS3

Postby youwanker » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:51 pm

Each time I try to copy a movie when using media server I'm told by my PS3 that insufficient disk space exists.
It appears that any movie I try to copy is 94gb in size when my PS3 looks at it even though the video is only approx 8gb on the server side (checked several to verify)

Could we get a facility to transcode and copy?

By the way...fantastic app...the reason why I chose a PS3 over Xbox.
In my books Sony owes you bigtime ; )
youwanker

Re: Transcode and Copy movie to PS3

Postby turbotwo » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:06 am

I believe the "insufficient disk space" message that you are getting is due to the fact that the HDD is formatted for FAT32. The file size limit to any one file is 2gb max.
turbotwo

Postby EnDumEn » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:07 am

turbotwo wrote:I believe the "insufficient disk space" message that you are getting is due to the fact that the HDD is formatted for FAT32. The file size limit to any one file is 2gb max.

Totally wrong, there is no such limit on the internal hdd of the ps3. PS3 has its own encrypted "partition system". The 4gb limit is due to FAT32 that is required for an EXTERNAL hdd.

The problem is that transcoded material from PMS shows up as 94gb in size. And thats is why it doesn't fit on the hdd. A most annoying bug.
PS3 80gb | PSP-2000 | PS-42S5H | Onkyo TX-SR605 | DTB-P850V | DIR-655 | Harmony 785 | iPhone 3G |
EnDumEn

Postby Topguy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:12 am

EnDumEn wrote:The problem is that transcoded material from PMS shows up as 94gb in size. And thats is why it doesn't fit on the hdd. A most annoying bug.

You are aware that transcoded material can be MUCH bigger than the original file depending on the transcoding method. Its also quite difficult to predict the correct size without actually doing the complete transcoding first.

A two hour HD 1080p movie of 8GB has an average bitrate of only 9mbps, have you looked at the bitrate when you stream the transcoded version ?
Topguy

Postby EnDumEn » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:56 am

Topguy wrote:
EnDumEn wrote:The problem is that transcoded material from PMS shows up as 94gb in size. And thats is why it doesn't fit on the hdd. A most annoying bug.

You are aware that transcoded material can be MUCH bigger than the original file depending on the transcoding method. Its also quite difficult to predict the correct size without actually doing the complete transcoding first.

A two hour HD 1080p movie of 8GB has an average bitrate of only 9mbps, have you looked at the bitrate when you stream the transcoded version ?

Yes, but we're not talking 1080p specifically, it is the same problem with a normal xvid that is for some reason transcoded. Even that says 94gb!
PS3 80gb | PSP-2000 | PS-42S5H | Onkyo TX-SR605 | DTB-P850V | DIR-655 | Harmony 785 | iPhone 3G |
EnDumEn

Postby youwanker » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:15 am

Just downloading 1.04 now. Noticed that it included a new option to transcode&copy

Thanks for responding! : )
youwanker

Return to Feature Suggestions