headless multithread

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

headless multithread

Postby wonslung » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:20 am

hello, i followed the guide at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=315 but seeing as i don't have a gui i have no idea what to put in the PMS.conf to get h264 video working on the ps3 also, what flag for mulicore

any help would be greatly appreciated
wonslung

Re: headless multithread

Postby Jagged » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:46 pm

you can export the display to another PC (enable X11 forwarding in your ssh client). If you are using a Linux X11-based desktop, you should have no problem doing this. If it's a Windows desktop you can install Xming. Just make sure Xming is running before running PMS. this'll let you use the GUI config tool.
Jagged

Postby wonslung » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:35 am

it is a system running with no x at all, it's a ubuntu server system. i ended up getting it working though.

would still appreciate some documentation on the subject.
wonslung

Postby Jagged » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:55 am

I understand the server you're running it on has no X installed, however X is designed to allow you to export the "display" to another PC that does (whether that's an X system or an X "emulator" for Windows).
Jagged

Postby wonslung » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:29 am

ahh, i did not know that....very cool...i'm pretty new to linux (obviously) i'll check into it....
thanks
wonslung

Postby 9Mqjq2k13 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:12 am

Did anyone got this working?
At startup PMS says that it's starting on the command-line with no GUI even when I ssh to the server with the -X option.
xclock & works fine on my two machines via SSH-tunnel.
9Mqjq2k13

Postby Jagged » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:01 pm

9Mqjq2k13 wrote:Did anyone got this working?
At startup PMS says that it's starting on the command-line with no GUI even when I ssh to the server with the -X option.
xclock & works fine on my two machines via SSH-tunnel.

Yes, it works fine exporting the display for me (using putty + xming to export it to a Windows desktop). Since xclock works, I don't think the problem is the X11 forwarding. If you look at the debug.log, perhaps it'll give some indication as why it's deciding to start w/ no GUI?
Jagged

Postby 9Mqjq2k13 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:15 am

There is nothing debig.log regarding my problem.
Yesterday I even managed to start jwm on an external X-Server from my Linux-server. :-)
Everything works great except PMS.

A documented config-file would be a big help for all of us using a linux-server.

Despite that - PMS is a great peace of software.
9Mqjq2k13

Postby Jagged » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:52 pm

I see a couple of relevant areas for detecting a console
Code: Select all
                if (System.getProperty("console") == null) {//$NON-NLS-1$
                        frame = new LooksFrame(autoUpdater, configuration);
                        autoUpdater.pollServer();
                } else {
                        System.out.println("GUI environment no available"); //$NON-NLS-1$
                        System.out.println("Switching to console mode"); //$NON-NLS-1$
                        frame = new DummyFrame();
                }

Code: Select all
        public static void main(String args[]) throws IOException, ConfigurationException {               
                if (args.length > 0) {
                        for(int a=0;a<args.length;a++) {
                                if (args[a].equals("console")) //$NON-NLS-1$
                                        System.setProperty("console", "true"); //$NON-NLS-1$ //$NON-NLS-2$
                                else if (args[a].equals("nativelook")) //$NON-NLS-1$
                                        System.setProperty("nativelook", "true"); //$NON-NLS-1$ //$NON-NLS-2$
                                else if (args[a].equals("scrollbars")) //$NON-NLS-1$
                                        System.setProperty("scrollbars", "true"); //$NON-NLS-1$ //$NON-NLS-2$
                                else if (args[a].equals("noconsole")) //$NON-NLS-1$
                                        System.setProperty("noconsole", "true"); //$NON-NLS-1$ //$NON-NLS-2$
                        }
                }
                try {
                        Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit();
                        if (GraphicsEnvironment.isHeadless() && System.getProperty("noconsole") == null) //$NON-NLS-1$
                } catch (Throwable t) {
                }
                configuration = new PmsConfiguration();
                PMS.get();
                try {
                        // let's allow us time to show up serious errors in the GUI before quitting
                        Thread.sleep(60000);
                } catch (InterruptedException e) { }
        }

So, it looks like you can override it's GUI environment detection by doing "./PMS.sh noconsole", which should force it to launch in gui mode. The other modes might be useful as well (console, nativelook, scrollbars, noconsole).
Jagged

Return to Linux/Unix Support