Plugin Debugging Help

Discuss issues related to PS3 Media Server development (only for programmers)

Plugin Debugging Help

Postby wubs » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:10 am

Howdy,

As I said in a previous thread, I'm new to Java and what not and trying to find ways to help me learn as fast as possible.

So I've been able to compile the movieinfo plugin and starting to look at it to see how I can fix/improve it.. I see a lot of places where he used printlns.. My question, how in the world did he see these during normal operation?

They don't output in the PMS's trace window and I'm not able to get the NetBean's debugger to attach to the PMS processes..

What do you plugin devs use to output text so quickly see debug info?

Is there an easy way to get the plugin to just output to the trace tab?

Thanks.

Update:

Well, I see PMS.minimal/debug/info works for some simple trace.. I can't seem to find the option to tell PMS to output Debug writes to the log.. So I'm forced to use minimal for now unless someone knows the magic flag?

Anyway, I still would like to know how most do debug.
wubs

Re: Plugin Debugging Help

Postby chocolateboy » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:04 pm

wubs wrote:how in the world did he see these during normal operation?

What platform are you on? On Windows, launch PMS from the command prompt with PMS.bat and either monitor the output in the command prompt window, or redirect it to a logfile. On Unixen, run:

Code: Select all
./PMS.sh > pms.log

- and monitor pms.log.

I can't seem to find the option to tell PMS to output Debug writes to the log.. So I'm forced to use minimal for now unless someone knows the magic flag?

Not sure what you mean. PMS.minimal() writes to the debug.log. Once the plugin has successfully loaded and initialized, you may find it easier to use a plugin-specific logfile. See here for some options.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Re: Plugin Debugging Help

Postby wubs » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:31 am

Thanks for the tip.. I'll try that next time..
wubs

Return to Developers