Is the project dead (again)

Download and discuss official beta builds here

Is the project dead (again)

Postby sportsstar99 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:52 am

there has not been a new revision in over a month and nothing on shagrath's twitter last tweet was about one of his android apps. So is the project dead?
sportsstar99

Re: Is the project dead (again)

Postby AlGrenadine » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:14 pm

it looks like a very slow one... or dead
anyway if someone wants to create a C++ dlna server i'm a c++ dev looking for some dlna knowledge, this ps3ms doesn't fill our needs ;)
AlGrenadine

Postby jsmiddleton4 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:27 pm

Seemed like the momentum that had built in the community builds died when the "official" project author came back into the mix.
jsmiddleton4

Postby devildog93 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:39 pm

Wow. Quite the comments.

Please remember this is a free open source that you can do what you want with. Shagrath didn't stop anyone from continuing on with the Community build.
devildog93

Postby jsmiddleton4 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:41 pm

devil your assumption that we somehow don't understand nor appreciate the nature of PS3 Media Server is incorrect. A reply that is at least expected albeit incorrect. Looking for communication is not the same as being unappreciative of the work and hours that go into a project like this. And in fact the community builds were in part a reaction to the lack of communication and progress on PS3 Media Server. Once its author returned folks backed off, as has been noted, because the driving force behind the project was present again.

If it is the case that the author of this robust software is no longer able to maintain improvements and updated releases asking for some kind of communication is not being impatient or lacking understanding. It is a request for simple common courtesy. How long does it take to post on this forum that IF folks want to move this project forward it will have to be as a community project?

A few seconds perhaps?
jsmiddleton4

Postby devildog93 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:30 pm

Then go ahead and put YOUR few seconds into it.

He just released the latest beta not long ago, which solved the "go to" function problems.

The fact that the MEncoder/MPlayer and other engines are unstable probably has a huge role in the lack of recent updates, and that one fix, brings on two "chinks" in the armor.

Like I said, him being back and the Community build progress slowing down, can't necessarily be linked. People can carry the experimenting on if they choose, but clearly they choose not to.

And that probably has to do with the fact that it was more unstable than any version he ever released. I tried it, and immediately removed it from my PC (within the hour). Terrible release, and the patch fixes......didn't. Processes hung, folders populated with incorrect information......etc.

And how is my statement "incorrect"? My statement is absolutely "correct", your assumption that I am implying others "don't understand" is what is "incorrect". Just reminding people.....kinda like how you remind your kid to "say thank you".....he/she's not being rude....just ignorant.

Kinda like the kid who didn't get toys for Christmas....you know what, unfortunately this year, you get a T-shirt. Tough luck.

You ask for simple "common courtesy" from a guy who donates all his time to creating an open source "freeware" product for us.

Go ahead, and start back on the Community build, you have all the time in the world, just remember, that others don't necessarily have that time, and the current state of ASS\SSA support, MEncoder/MPlayer builds, lack of TsMuxer engine update etc etc. make it difficult to just throw together another stable release.

Good luck, hope the Community Build works out for you.
devildog93

Postby jsmiddleton4 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:26 pm

Well when even long term supporter Otanix makes mention of the reality of the thing I'd say devil you are still missing the point and over reacting. React as you choose. But you are off base with your snide comments.

http://otmanix.de/english/2010/11/01/wh ... -etc-news/
jsmiddleton4

Postby meskibob » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:59 pm

Thread locked.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Return to Beta Builds