Core I7 Users

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Core I7 Users

Postby Konceptz » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:36 pm

Make sure you do the following to achieve maximum transcoding performance.

bring up msconfig and under boot tab ,advanced options make sure you check the number of processors and set it to 8 (to take advantage of the quad core hyper threading). Save changes and restart.

Under PS3 media server common transcode settings set number of CPUs to 8 for the same reasons as above.
Konceptz

Re: Core I7 Users

Postby Irvysan » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:01 am

Irvysan

Postby Konceptz » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:17 am

I'm positive. the i7 is a quad core hyper threading enabled cpu, windows sees 8 cores, why not use them all? the i7 is more then capable of handling the load.
Konceptz

Postby meskibob » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:20 am

While it is a valid point that Mencoder isn't optimized for hyper-threading, I doubt there's any media (currently) that will tax an i7 enough to where you need to have all the cores fully utilized. However, that note makes sense for core2/core2quad's with HT that aren't fast enough for 1080P.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Irvysan » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:39 am

Konceptz wrote:I'm positive. the i7 is a quad core hyper threading enabled cpu, windows sees 8 cores, why not use them all? the i7 is more then capable of handling the load.

I appreciate the i7 is capable of handling the load, my point was the same as yours in regards to HT enabled intel processors, did you read the post i referred to?

Irvysan wrote:If you run taskmgr.exe how many CPU's do you see in the performance tab? If you see 2 then use 2 in PMS
Irvysan

Postby Irvysan » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:41 am

meskibob wrote:While it is a valid point that Mencoder isn't optimized for hyper-threading, I doubt there's any media (currently) that will tax an i7 enough to where you need to have all the cores fully utilized. However, that note makes sense for core2/core2quad's with HT that aren't fast enough for 1080P.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=396
Irvysan

Postby Irvysan » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:53 am

All Quad core/Core 2 Duo's, etc. are not necessarily HTT enabled, which I was ignorant of.

For example here is my processor specs : http://ark.intel.com/cpu.aspx?groupId=29765

Every day is a school day! :)
Irvysan

Postby Konceptz » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:00 am

I think most are missing the point, I was simply trying to show users how to get the most out of their I7 setups, core2 does not have hyper threading (2 threads per core).
Konceptz

Postby meskibob » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:11 am

Konceptz wrote:... core2 does not have hyper threading (2 threads per core).

I thought read somewhere that they did, but a quick google search seems to have proved that wrong. My bad...

Anyways, in general, yes, HT does improve CPU usage and should be enabled for the Core i7's. But I am under the impression that multi-core optimized applications really focus on breaking down the calculations so that they can be easily spread over the multiple caches (and subsequent cores), not the number of threads available for each cache/core. In the case of i7 HT, you still only have the four caches, even with eight threads available. Saying there is four cores in the PMS settings should even out the cache utilization and calculation segmentation, and then let each core divy over the two threads available. This should increase throughput with less total load. Whether or not it's noticeable or needed with the i7 is another question, but it's definitely noticeable and effective with HT P4's (sadly that's what I'm using now).
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Return to General Discussion