Well..the below information is out of date but I will keep it around for reference. If you're having troubles playing MKV files and are getting unsupported messages download SubJunk's build --> viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8883
Actually you should just download it anyway...
I've been using PS3 media server for some time and have had relatively few issues. Recently however, I have been having a great deal of annoyances when playing mkv files. To be a little more specific my playback issues included:
- random freezing or pausing while watching a movie
- some mkv files would simply display a data is corrupted message
- slow to load or slow to seek to a position in the movie
After a lot of fiddling over the course of the last few days I have been error free while watching any previously problematic video.
- I am running windows 7 (32bit) on an intel i5 system.
- The latest version of Java (update 22)
- My PS3 is running firmware 3.5
- Wireless connection to ps3
Here are the steps I went through to fix my PS3 media server experience, in the event others are also frustrated by such issues:
- To start with I uninstalled the latest PS3 media server beta: v1.20.412 BETA
- I downloaded and installed the latest community version of ps3 media server (1.20.412 contrib r31): http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtop ... =14&t=7844
- I updated ps3 media servers versions of MPlayer, MEncoder & ffmpeg.exe to the latest version available from there sourceforge page as described below
- I configured ps3 media server to use mencoder for my transcoding needs
To update menconder.exe & mplayer.exe:
Replaced only mencoder.exe & mplayer.exe in the "ps3 media server\win32\" directory with the mencoder.exe & mplayer.exe from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer ... z/download
To update mencoder_mt.exe:
Replaced mencoder_mt.exe in the "ps3 media server\win32\" directory with mencoder.exe (yes, renamed file to _mt.exe) from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer ... z/download
(MPlayer-p4-svn-32492-m) <-- NOTICE this is a different link and file than the previous... "MT"
To update ffmpeg.exe:
Replaced only ffmpeg.exe in the "ps3 media server\win32\" directory with the ffmpeg.exe from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer ... z/download
Note, that the files I linked assumes you are using a pentium 4 (or better) processor. See below or this page for the version that aligns with your processor: http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php/url
CPU Build (r32198)
AMD Single Core athlon
AMD Multi Core (X2/X3/X4/Phenom) athlon / athlon-xp mt
Intel Pentium3 p3
Intel Pentium 4 or better Single Core p4
Intel Pentium 4 or better Multi Core (core2/xeon/etc) p4 / p4 mt
Generic 486 or better rtm