Solved - MKV files & data unsupported / corrupted messages

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Solved - MKV files & data unsupported / corrupted messages

Postby Redsz » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:02 am

Well..the below information is out of date but I will keep it around for reference. If you're having troubles playing MKV files and are getting unsupported messages download SubJunk's build --> viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8883

Actually you should just download it anyway...

Hey All,

I've been using PS3 media server for some time and have had relatively few issues. Recently however, I have been having a great deal of annoyances when playing mkv files. To be a little more specific my playback issues included:

- random freezing or pausing while watching a movie
- some mkv files would simply display a data is corrupted message
- slow to load or slow to seek to a position in the movie

After a lot of fiddling over the course of the last few days I have been error free while watching any previously problematic video.

For reference:
- I am running windows 7 (32bit) on an intel i5 system.
- The latest version of Java (update 22)
- My PS3 is running firmware 3.5
- Wireless connection to ps3

Here are the steps I went through to fix my PS3 media server experience, in the event others are also frustrated by such issues:

- To start with I uninstalled the latest PS3 media server beta: v1.20.412 BETA
- I downloaded and installed the latest community version of ps3 media server (1.20.412 contrib r31): http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtop ... =14&t=7844
- I updated ps3 media servers versions of MPlayer, MEncoder & ffmpeg.exe to the latest version available from there sourceforge page as described below
- I configured ps3 media server to use mencoder for my transcoding needs

To update menconder.exe & mplayer.exe:
Replaced only mencoder.exe & mplayer.exe in the "ps3 media server\win32\" directory with the mencoder.exe & mplayer.exe from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer ... z/download (MPlayer-p4-svn-32492-mt.7z)

To update mencoder_mt.exe:
Replaced mencoder_mt.exe in the "ps3 media server\win32\" directory with mencoder.exe (yes, renamed file to _mt.exe) from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer ... z/download (MPlayer-p4-svn-32492-m) <-- NOTICE this is a different link and file than the previous... "MT"

To update ffmpeg.exe:
Replaced only ffmpeg.exe in the "ps3 media server\win32\" directory with the ffmpeg.exe from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer ... z/download (FFmpeg-svn-25456.7z)

Note, that the files I linked assumes you are using a pentium 4 (or better) processor. See below or this page for the version that aligns with your processor: http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php/url

CPU Build (r32198)
AMD Single Core athlon
AMD Multi Core (X2/X3/X4/Phenom) athlon / athlon-xp mt
Intel Pentium3 p3
Intel Pentium 4 or better Single Core p4
Intel Pentium 4 or better Multi Core (core2/xeon/etc) p4 / p4 mt
Generic 486 or better rtm
Last edited by Redsz on Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
Redsz

Re: Solved - MKV files & data unsupported / corrupted messag

Postby saitemre » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:43 am

nothıng changed:-( damn!!!

Redsz wrote:Hey All,

I've been using the latest version of the PS3 media server for some time and have had relatively few issues. The issues I have had generally involved playing some form of .mkv file that resulted in an error message, either data unsupported / data is corrupted. For reference I am running windows 7 (32bit) on an intel i5 system.

I updated ps3 media servers versions of MPlayer and MEncoder and this problem was solved for me. (this solution is also discussed in this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7203&start=40#p34807)

First change:
Replaced only mencoder.exe & mplayer.exe in the "ps3 media server\win32\" directory with the mencoder.exe & mplayer.exe from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer ... z/download (MPlayer-p4-svn-32198.7z)

Second change:
Replaced mencoder_mt.exe in the "ps3 media server\win32\" directory with mencoder.exe (yes, renamed file to _mt.exe) from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer ... z/download (MPlayer-p4-svn-32198-mt.7z) <-- NOTICE this is a different link and file than the previous... "MT"

Note, that the file I linked assumes you are using a pentium 4 (or better) processor. See below or this page for the version that aligns with your processor: http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php/url

CPU Build (r32198)
AMD Single Core athlon
AMD Multi Core (X2/X3/X4/Phenom) athlon / athlon-xp mt
Intel Pentium3 p3
Intel Pentium 4 or better Single Core p4
Intel Pentium 4 or better Multi Core (core2/xeon/etc) p4 / p4 mt
Generic 486 or better rtm

I've been searching for a solution to this issue for sometime now and this is my first success without reworking the video. Thought I would share in the event others were also having issues.
saitemre

Postby EcRyuKeN » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:25 am

Works great, but can you help me, now subtitles don't work (avi, mkv ......)
EcRyuKeN

Postby ExSport » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:40 pm

SEARCH is your friend. Many times discussed here.
Hint: ASS parameter
ExSport

Postby Redsz » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:26 am

Just updated with my latest findings to fix MKV playback annoyances.
Redsz

Postby pier » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:41 am

So how do I update the transcoding engines on Mac os?
pier

Postby Coltaine79 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:51 pm

Redsz,

I notice you said you are using builds 32492 of mencoder/_mt/mplayer.

Does this mean you have disabled tsmuxer and use mencoder for everything?

Because tsmuxer has not been updated in some time, and I believe it is still not compatible with "header removal compression" (mkvtoolnix 4.0+) which is the root cause for so many recent MKVs not working on PS3.

I think if tsmuxer was updated by it's author to be compatible with "header removal compression" then we could have a 100% working PMS set-up which would be 100% compatible with all the MKVs which people download.
Coltaine79

Postby datdamnmachine » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:03 pm

I used this to address an issue I had in the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8138

5.1 FLAC still doesn't work but the MKV's that wouldn't play now all play. However, a new problem has come up. It seems that subtitles are acting up. They show up but they will stay on screen until the next subtitle comes up. Didn't notice it until watching some Anime the other day. Is anyone else, including the thread-starter, experiencing this issue since performing this fix?
datdamnmachine

Postby devildog93 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:30 pm

datdamnmachine wrote:I used this to address an issue I had in the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8138

5.1 FLAC still doesn't work but the MKV's that wouldn't play now all play. However, a new problem has come up. It seems that subtitles are acting up. They show up but they will stay on screen until the next subtitle comes up. Didn't notice it until watching some Anime the other day. Is anyone else, including the thread-starter, experiencing this issue since performing this fix?

I have noticed this as well. I am looking for a fix as well as it is kind of annoying when you have a 10 + second length of silence and the last sentence spoken is still on screen.
devildog93

Postby Redsz » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:19 am

@Coltaine79
Correct, I have disabled tsmuxer for all playback and am using the latest revision of mencoder for all transcoding.

@datdamnmachine / devildog93
I rarely watch subtitled movies, therefore I have not noticed this behavior. Will try playing around with this tonight and see if I encounter something similar.
Redsz

Next

Return to General Help and Support