PS3 Media Server Cover Generator Application

Discuss third-party additions, plugins and translations for PS3 Media Server

Re: PS3 Media Server Cover Generator Application

Postby syonker » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:30 pm

Hi Gang - Just getting started with PS3 Media Server, so apologize if this has been covered numerous times...but wondering how one would use the above application (which I notice saves with no file extension - is that right), to generate thumbnails and actually apply them to the media in a way that it shows up on your PS3. I have gone through the admin panel, and it seems that it tries to load general thumbnails from Amazon, but that's all.
syonker

Postby Niriel » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:48 pm

Have you seen the button below the Amazon search button?
You can load any picture that you want on your cover as long as you can find it in the web.
Niriel

Postby syonker » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:56 pm

Aha! Got it...just a one quick question: Is it normal for it to be named with no file extension (I find I have to manually go change the extension to .png, the move into place).

It took me a little while to realize I was looking at sliders for the scaling of the photos down below the picture, but it works great. My hat is officially tipped to the developer of this magnificient and graceful tool!

Regards,

-S
syonker

Postby devildog93 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:30 pm

syonker wrote:Aha! Got it...just a one quick question: Is it normal for it to be named with no file extension (I find I have to manually go change the extension to .png, the move into place).

It took me a little while to realize I was looking at sliders for the scaling of the photos down below the picture, but it works great. My hat is officially tipped to the developer of this magnificient and graceful tool!

Regards,

-S

Whenever I download a thumb from this site, the default "end" of the filename comes up as .cover.png

You must label your thumb.................. Mymovie.mkv.cover.png OR Mymovie.avi.cover.png OR whatever the extension is.

What you label the thumb, must match the ACTUAL filename + .cover.png.

If you name the file Mymovie.avi.cover.png BUT the actual name of the file is Mymovie.mp4.cover.png, PMS will not display the thumb.
devildog93

Postby AlphaMale » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:42 pm

Just to add to this: it's not needed to use the keyword "cover". I am using the following name convention which is working great, just as an example:

Inception.2010.1080p.DTS.mkv
Inception.2010.1080p.DTS.png
Salt.2010.1080p.AC3.mkv
Salt.2010.1080p.AC3.png
Salt.2010.1080p.AC3.srt
Wallstreet.Money.Never.Sleeps.2010.1080p.DTS.mpg
Wallstreet.Money.Never.Sleeps.2010.1080p.DTS.png
etc.

I also find browsing through large directories easier this way because the related filenames of a movie have the same length.
AlphaMale

Postby devildog93 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:35 am

Good point, if you keep your thumbs in same directory as your vids. I use the alternate folder, so browsing is not an issue for me, and as the default name in my browser name comes as ".cover.png", I just add the name of the file to the front.
But it's good to know they work your way too, and I will try it with my setup. Thanks.
devildog93

Postby bozzy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:41 am

Just wanted to say thanks for this utility.
Bloomin' awesome!
bozzy

Postby gizmo_uk » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:42 pm

Just wanted to share my YOUtube video of my PS3 media server with thumbnails.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS97UWOBA-o

Fantastic work, thank you very much!
gizmo_uk

Postby lartomar2002 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:43 am

please forgive my ignorance but when i try to save the cover to the movie in my library and i click select i get a pop up saying the file already exist do i want to replace it. how do i add the cover? :oops:
Nothing left in my right brain, Nothing right in my left brain!
lartomar2002

Postby devildog93 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:50 am

Either the "cover-files" need to be added to your movie folder, and the file must have the same name, as such....

Movie123.mkv
Movie123.mkv.png

Or add the files to an "alternative videos cover art folder" which is then shared from the Navigation/Share settings tab.
The cover art still must have the same name as the movie file for PMS to recognize and display it accordingly.

MyMovie.mp4
MyMovie.mp4.png
devildog93

PreviousNext

Return to Additions and Plugins