Sony BDP-S370 (DLNA-compatible with new firmware M03.R.567)

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

Re: Sony BDP-S370 (DLNA-compatible with new firmware M03.R.5

Postby patters » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:58 pm

grolschie wrote:I didn't see any thumbnails appear for photos. Just the standard blue icon thingamee.

Did you try the binary, or are you a Linux user?
Check your debug.log - if you've downloaded the wrong build of imagemagick the exe will crap out and it will dump the error in the log when it tries to run the command to generate the thumbnail. My setup binary should include convert.exe.
patters
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:06 pm

Re: Sony BDP-S370 (DLNA-compatible with new firmware M03.R.5

Postby infidel » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:07 pm

patters wrote:It is.

You may want to look again :) .
infidel
 
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: Sony BDP-S370 (DLNA-compatible with new firmware M03.R.5

Postby grolschie » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:09 pm

patters wrote:
grolschie wrote:I didn't see any thumbnails appear for photos. Just the standard blue icon thingamee.

Did you try the binary, or are you a Linux user?
Check your debug.log - if you've downloaded the wrong build of imagemagick the exe will crap out and it will dump the error in the log when it tries to run the command to generate the thumbnail. My setup binary should include convert.exe.


I am a Windows user and used patch and ant. I will try your binary.
grolschie
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:05 am

Re: Sony BDP-S370 (DLNA-compatible with new firmware M03.R.5

Postby grolschie » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:20 pm

I have tried your binary. Thumbnails work thanks. Can you please clarify on which actual imagemagick zip file to download please?

When using psmencoder to play video streams I get "File is corrupt or supported" with this build, and a few patches ago. Does anyone know why please? My other build works. Could someone please try it? Thanks in advance.
grolschie
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:05 am

Re: Sony BDP-S370 (DLNA-compatible with new firmware M03.R.5

Postby patters » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:31 am

grolschie wrote:I have tried your binary. Thumbnails work thanks. Can you please clarify on which actual imagemagick zip file to download please?

When using psmencoder to play video streams I get "File is corrupt or supported" with this build, and a few patches ago. Does anyone know why please? My other build works. Could someone please try it? Thanks in advance.


I used ImageMagick-6.6.4-3-Q16-windows-static.exe which installs a whole bunch of executables. Then just take convert.exe.
As for PMSEncoder, I don't use it. I may take a look, but considering the amount of time it took me just to get the transcode patch to work, I'm not sure I'll be much use. I'm more likely to try to investigate why content which uses the chunk transfer chokes up and stutters at bitrates higher than 1.5Mbps.

@infidel. Oops, I guess I'll need to put a new version out then...
patters
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:06 pm

Re: Sony BDP-S370 (DLNA-compatible with new firmware M03.R.5

Postby grolschie » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:33 am

patters wrote:I used ImageMagick-6.6.4-3-Q16-windows-static.exe which installs a whole bunch of executables. Then just take convert.exe.
As for PMSEncoder, I don't use it. I may take a look, but considering the amount of time it took me just to get the transcode patch to work, I'm not sure I'll be much use. I'm more likely to try to investigate why content which uses the chunk transfer chokes up and stutters at bitrates higher than 1.5Mbps.


Thanks. So I have two options:
* Keep a copy of PS3MS (clean svn check out +v3 patch) that plays most things, but not streaming TV.
* Keep another copy of PS3MS that streams TV but won't stream some files properly.

Anyone else have any clues as to what could've broken support for psmencoder in these patches? Thanks in advance.
grolschie
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:05 am

Re: Sony BDP-S370 (DLNA-compatible with new firmware M03.R.5

Postby patters » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:25 am

I've updated the patch to include the correct renderer conf file and also the Windows setup binary too. The actual source remains unchanged.

For the stuttering, it's definitely something to do with the content range patch because M2TS and VOB files (which play fine) are requested using the range "0-" by the bluray player and therefore never get chunked.
Attachments
sony_bdp_patch_v4.zip
(6.47 KiB) Downloaded 326 times
patters
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:06 pm

Re: Sony BDP-S370 (DLNA-compatible with new firmware M03.R.5

Postby patters » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:05 am

@WorldOfHurt - I'm a novice at this, but I was just looking more closely at SizeLimitInputStream.java. Might performance be improved regarding the stuttering if it used BufferedInputStream rather than InputStream? Or is the problem that the whole thing gets invoked afresh every time the renderer wants another 32KB?
patters
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:06 pm

Re: Sony BDP-S370 (DLNA-compatible with new firmware M03.R.5

Postby WorldOfHurt » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:06 pm

There is an inevitable delay imposed by the fact that the server holds no state between requests. As the renderer requests blocks further and further from the start of the stream, the time for the server to seek to the start point increases. This is inevitable unless the server holds on to the stream so the next block does not require a seek. However, the current PMS architecture does not support this, as it starts again at each request.

I don't think this kind of renderer was around when Shagrath designed the request handling architecture, because otherwise he would probably have implemented a stateful (session-aware) HTTP handler. C'est la vie.

Buffering would probably slow down the stream, by the way. When you are dumping bytes from a file onto a network connection, speed is critical. Any buffering would slow it down.
User avatar
WorldOfHurt
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:49 pm
Location: Winchester, UK

Re: Sony BDP-S370 (DLNA-compatible with new firmware M03.R.5

Postby patters » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:07 am

Thanks. I thought that might be the case. Looks like a case for a ChunkedRenderer boolean in the renderer conf file and a RequestV3.java perhaps. Looking at those functions I guess you need to read the 32KB from the stream, lay down a mark and repeat as necessary, reading from the mark point rather than using the Skip method. I'll have a look at this when I have some time - I work with a developer (not Java unfortunately) who can give me some help hopefully if I get stuck.
patters
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:06 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Alternative Media Renderers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests