FAQ/Tutorial Discussion/Archive

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: PS3 Media Server for dummies / tutorial howto documenta

Postby otmanix » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:24 pm

meskibob wrote:Q: I would like to backup or clear my PMS settings. Where is the PMS.conf file located?
A: There are a few possible default locations...
Windows
-- install directory (XP, Vista, 7)
-- [System Drive]\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\PMS\ (Vista, 7)

and don't forget about [System Drive]\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\Temp\javaps3media for debug.log and other temp data on Win7
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
otmanix

Postby meskibob » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:21 am

otmanix wrote:
meskibob wrote:Q: I would like to backup or clear my PMS settings. Where is the PMS.conf file located?
A: There are a few possible default locations...
Windows
-- install directory (XP, Vista, 7)
-- [System Drive]\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\PMS\ (Vista, 7)

and don't forget about [System Drive]\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\Temp\javaps3media for debug.log and other temp data on Win7

Not quite relevant to the original post about just the PMS.conf file, but it's also important...
So I've updated the post for "all" files (conf, log, temp web data). Thanks :)
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby otmanix » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:01 pm

Kudos! Very nice post Meskibob!

I have to add one hint regarding
Note 3: Some routers are crap and either a) don't have the proper settings or b) just mishandle traffic regardless of the settings. This can even vary within the same router for wired vs wireless traffic. If you've checked everything else, give the forum or Google a search and see if other people are having UPnP/DLNA issues with the same router.

You may use a switch or a hub which is really cheap as a workaround. Connect your DLNA device, PC and router to the switch/hub and internet connectivity is still there, but you won't have trouble with your routers firewall anymore... This will of course only work with wired connections.

Update:
There are firmware bugs on some dlan / powerline adapters which prevent certain broadcasts from being transmitted (like using a firewall). This will also cause connection problems.

Kind regards, Otmanix
Last edited by otmanix on Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
otmanix

Postby mikulator » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:14 pm

FIRST! Thanks for the super info.

Maybe a bit too ambitions, but since the project is on hold, it could be an idea to have a guide to patching? I have only tried it shortly in Linux with no success but here is a guide for windows: http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7534 from innot

Again cheers for the topic,
Mik
mikulator

Postby CiceroS » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:02 am

And a Mac-howto-build for dummies, when will it come? Redlum left us orphans, I think. But dummies also know how to follow recipe for a cake. We would not know?
CiceroS

Postby Raguletto » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:29 pm

Troubleshooting - PMS - Renaming PS3 Media Server

Error: There is no option to rename PMS in GUI. I want to run more than one PMS instance in my home network and identify them easily.

Solution: There is no easy solution. One has to change sourcecode and compile PMS in order to get a renamed version of it.

I thought I would share my experience with this, hopefully it hasn't already been posted elsewhere (I did a quick search and didn't find anything).
You can rename your media server (after it has been installed) by following these steps:
1. Open C:\Program Files\PS3 Media Server\pms.jar with WinRAR.
2. From within WinRAR open the resources folder and extract PMS.xml (keep WinRAR open).
3. Open your extracted PMS.xml with notepad and enter the name for your server inside the <friendlyName> and </friendlyName> tags.
4. Save the PMS.xml
5. Within WinRAR, select "Add" from the top toolbar and navigate to your customized PMS.xml
6. Exit WinRAR.
7. Test your work :)

Hopefully this helps someone, let me know if I have made any errors.
Raguletto

Postby Flook » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:27 am

by Raguletto » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:29 am

Troubleshooting - PMS - Renaming PS3 Media Server

Error: There is no option to rename PMS in GUI. I want to run more than one PMS instance in my home network and identify them easily.

Solution: There is no easy solution. One has to change sourcecode and compile PMS in order to get a renamed version of it.

I thought I would share my experience with this, hopefully it hasn't already been posted elsewhere (I did a quick search and didn't find anything).
You can rename your media server (after it has been installed) by following these steps:
1. Open C:\Program Files\PS3 Media Server\pms.jar with WinRAR.
2. From within WinRAR open the resources folder and extract PMS.xml (keep WinRAR open).
3. Open your extracted PMS.xml with notepad and enter the name for your server inside the <friendlyName> and </friendlyName> tags.
4. Save the PMS.xml
5. Within WinRAR, select "Add" from the top toolbar and navigate to your customized PMS.xml
6. Exit WinRAR.
7. Test your work

Interesting solution and might be useful. I've been using pms for about a year and a half and everyone who has wanted to run multiple instances just copies the install directory and launches another instance. There are no issues with it and you can set a specific ip address for each instance to connect to. I have one that a ps3 sees and another that an xbox 360 sees. Works perfect and there are many threads on this issue.
Flook

Postby Kreig415 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:06 am

Last edited by Kreig415 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kreig415

Postby Raptor399 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:50 pm

Where would we be without your help, Otmanix. Thank you very much for all your efforts to get PMS well documented!

You might be interested to know that I have submitted an issue to improve the documentation in PMS with a patch attached.
Part of the patch is a set of HTML documents that has been compiled from all the information that I could find, most of it by your hand or meskibob's.

The documents of course give you and meskibob full credit for your work and I hope you like the proposed improvement.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby meskibob » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:26 am

Raptor399 wrote:Where would we be without your help, Otmanix. Thank you very much for all your efforts to get PMS well documented!

You might be interested to know that I have submitted an issue to improve the documentation in PMS with a patch attached.
Part of the patch is a set of HTML documents that has been compiled from all the information that I could find, most of it by your hand or meskibob's.

The documents of course give you and meskibob full credit for your work and I hope you like the proposed improvement.

Thanks for the contribution.
chocolateboy has applied your patch to the trunk (r533)
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

PreviousNext

Return to General Help and Support