Any alternatives to PS3 mediaserver?

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Re: Any alternatives to PS3 mediaserver?

Postby Gothmoth » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:00 pm

Just tried Orb. That's 2 hours of my life I will never get back. What a waste of time.

as long as i don´t get that aspect ratio issue fixed.. it´s 5 days of my life with PS3MS i don´t get back. ;)
Gothmoth

Postby devildog93 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:42 pm

With orb NOTHING worked. I got one mp4 to work, but the audio was downmixed to 2 channel mpeg audio. So.... boo on that.

In your case, 1280 X 5XX MKV's are the problem by your description. You could avoid headaches by finding MKV that are 720 or 1080. Basically, not 5XX

I can't download over 12000 videos to make them Orb compliant.

Go ahead and use Orb. Bet you NONE of your MKV work, nor most of your other video media. And if you get the video to play, you will probably have downmixed 2channnel audio.

Why don't you try demuxxing the MKV then remux into m2ts or use Yamb and create mp4's (not sure of what is Bravia compatible). Maybe avoiding transcode via PMS will help. Just remux outside of PMS.

Just my opinion. I find it easier to manipulate few files myself, than switch media servers and spend days trying aimlessly to get just a few to work.

Again, just the opinion of someone who has literally THOUSANDS of videos in various formats and qualities, varying from SD to FULL 1080p with DTS with crazy bitrates, and who has problems with less than a handful of them while using PMS

Not stopping any of you from going to another media server. If you don't like PMS, go ahead.....just .... have fun with that. :roll: That's all I'm saying.
devildog93

Postby Gothmoth » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:48 pm

well i have a job and therefore not much time.

i don´t want to spend hours recoding and remuxing a file before i can watch it.
i can spend my time better. :)

PS3MS is only usefull for me because of the transcoding.
if i had all the videos in a bravia compatible format i would not need PS3MS. :D

In your case, 1280 X 5XX MKV's are the problem by your description. You could avoid headaches by finding MKV that are 720 or 1080

these files are often listed as 720p but then GSPOT and other tools tell me they are 1280x5xx.
Gothmoth

Postby devildog93 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:12 pm

these files are often listed as 720p but then GSPOT and other tools tell me they are 1280x5xx.

True enough. I have seen that myself, quite often.

But again.... you WILL have MORE problems with other servers, and that is a fact.
Demuxxing and remuxxing does not take hours, usually only minutes. Re-encoding can and usually does take hours though.

I am a Vac truck operator in the oil patch in Northern BC Canada, I GUARANTEE I work more hours than you, and I still manage to quickly repair or remux files if needed.

Just my opinion. I find it easier to manipulate few files myself, than switch media servers and spend days trying aimlessly to get just a few to work.

...and having all your other ones that worked before with PMS, not work on the next media server.

I don't want to get into an arguement about this......it's like arguing which is better, an automobile or horse-drawn carriage.
I'll put it this way, PMS is the only "automobile" out there, and other servers are lucky if they even equate to a wheelbarrel.
devildog93

Postby vulcan » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:41 pm

vulcan

Postby devildog93 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:25 am

http://www.rbgrn.net/content/21-how-to- ... x-or-linux

PS3 Media Server is listed.....is the ONLY free server that covers every category....despite the fact that is not mentioned in "best of". I think I smell a sponsored page on this link ;)

BUT....seeing PMS does the most and costs the least, and remember, PMS also covers MANY formats of video and audio. Despite the ridiculous summary by the author of this page, it is plain to see the winner.

Anyone of the servers listed can be linked to download site. So feel free to check them all out.

Also...... http://orb.com/ Not listed.
devildog93

Postby ha100 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:27 pm

ha100

Postby Illico » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:56 am

http://www.serviio.org/
Free and profile mime/type configuration
Sony Bravia KDL-46EX501 | Sony BDP-S373 | Sony SMP-N100 |Serviio / PS3MS | Buffalo 2Share DD
Illico

Postby Solaris » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:08 am

I think the best solution to speed up ps3 mediaserver is donation,the more donation the more he thinks that we really care about the dev,this is a free solution but doesn't mean developer doesn't have dream too(buy cool mac,iphone 4,fast food lol),he is already make our dreams come true by this wonderful streamer,i think this is the common thing that we are forgotten when using opensource software,we brag much but it's free and the world ain't
Solaris

Postby AlGrenadine » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:15 am

Maybe you should give a try to "Wild Media Server'", it does transcoding and supports PS3
Google also proposed "Playon"...

Let us know if you find a good challenger for PS3MS ;)
AlGrenadine

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion