XVIDs won't work (but they do with Twonky)

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

XVIDs won't work (but they do with Twonky)

Postby felkor » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:26 am

I installed PS3 Media Server, and none of my XVID avi videos would work. The PS3 always says they're an incompatible file type. I decided I'd try out Twonky, and presto, all the videos that don't work with PS3 Media Server work with Twonky (which does no transcoding at all.)

So any ideas why they aren't working with PS3 Media Server? I've done h264 mpg files with success, just not xvids. I like the way PS3 Media Server works better than Twonky (and the fact that it's free!) so if possible I'd rather get things working with PS3 Media Server.

Any suggestions? Do I have something configured wrong?
felkor

Re: XVIDs won't work (but they do with Twonky)

Postby shagrath » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:19 am

that should work

which version have you installed? and what are your ps3 firmware revision?
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby felkor » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:13 am

I installed the current new version (not the beta, but the stable release.)

I just purchased the PS3 today and immediately upgraded it to the current firmware (2.60).

I tried tversity too but after an hour of it "scanning" my folders and finding out that it doesn't recognize file additions automatically, I shut it down and uninstalled it.

So now I'm using Twonky. Everything works perfectly. My biggest annoyance is that it adds all these layers of folders when navigating to files, so it takes a few extra "clicks" to actually get to my video files.

I love how PS3 Media Server works, but if it can't do XVids, well that's 99% of my collection.

I also found it couldn't do the "copy" function. I tried to copy a 1 gig h264 file and it said there wasn't enough hard drive space. Again, with Twonky, it copied fine.

I feel like I must be doing something wrong, but I have no idea what.

I tried the transcode function, but I don't like using it as I have an older PC (P4 2.4) and it can barely transcode it. Also, transcoding adds to the bitrate and I'm using Wireless, so without transcoding works much better.

Any ideas on what to try?
felkor

Postby shagrath » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:41 pm

felkor wrote:I love how PS3 Media Server works, but if it can't do XVids, well that's 99% of my collection.

all my xvids are working fine... if you could get me a non working sample, I will take a look

I also found it couldn't do the "copy" function. I tried to copy a 1 gig h264 file and it said there wasn't enough hard drive space. Again, with Twonky, it copied fine.

that means your file is transcoded by default...
what extension hve your file? h264 streaming is supported only in ts/m2ts
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby felkor » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:36 pm

I'll see if I can get a sample file that doesn't work and post it online when I get a chance. I have a feeling though that it's working for you anyways - I think this is more a problem with my setup or the software than with the files, simply because the PS3 will run the same videos with other software.

The h264 files is an mpg, I used MKV2VOB to convert it to a PS3 friendly format. It plays under both PS3 Media Server and Twonky.
felkor

Postby shagrath » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:46 pm

well, I guess there's a more general problem, like a serious error somewhere who prevents the soft to analyze the files
check the traces or the debug log file
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby felkor » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:16 pm

Thanks, I'll try again and check out the log files.
felkor

Return to General Help and Support