Separate the core dlna server

Discuss issues related to PS3 Media Server development (only for programmers)

Separate the core dlna server

Postby longkerdandy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:03 am

Hi
I'm looking for a open source dlna server and found PMS.
Seems it the best choice right now, because other won't work or shutting down (like uShare).

After briefly review the source code, I know the PMS implement the DLNA itself, right?
My thought is we can separate the core dlna implement as a standalone lib, so other apps could use.

I wish I could help on this.
Google and I find out the dlna spec is not open.
Where could I find some information on it?
longkerdandy

Re: Separate the core dlna server

Postby taconaut » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:37 am

To see what messages are being exchanged between the DLNA server and renderer you could use wireshark to reverse engineer the protocol (quite a hassle, but as you said, the DLNA spec isn't open and thus costly).

You can have a look at the net.pms.network.RequestV2 class. I haven't laid hands on this part of the code (and won't as its working fine), but it seems to be the one handling the DLNA communication. I guess extracting it won't be that easy, as its quite tightly linked to the rest of the implementation.
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby longkerdandy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:04 am

Thanks for the reply.

That's solution but seems not the best.
Even I did that, I still don't understand the meaning of those tags.
Are you doing the same way?

Well, I think I'll make a try.
See what I can do.
longkerdandy

Postby taconaut » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:23 am

I'm (still) working on the idea I've posted in this thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1782 to add a configurable media library. I've decided to implement this for pms, as 1) it is open source (thanks!) and 2) I'm really happy with the DLNA, streaming and transcoding capabilities. This means that I 'only' touch layers above DLNAResource and can happily rely on the layers underneath it. I'm afraid I can't give you any more insight into DLNA then that.
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Return to Developers