Sony BDP-S370 (DLNA-compatible with new firmware M03.R.567)

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

Re: Sony BDP-S370 (DLNA-compatible with new firmware M03.R.5

Postby patters » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:02 am

Great job WorldOfHurt! Got it built on Windows tonight and can confirm your changes get it working. I've further tweaked the renderer config so as to get hi def H.264 mkv and m2ts files playing natively. Following on from my tinkering with Serviio I've discovered how to force the mime types for those to be video/divx to satisfy the player's strange limitations. It seems to deal with 24fps (my Bravia 5500's renderer tries to convert to 25fps) but I've noticed that many hd films which play fine on the Bravia 5500 play with stuttering on the BDP-S370. Perhaps I'll need to take some more packet traces. Apparently Serviio did this before the latest release fixed that issue. Multiple audio streams and subtitles work from within mkvs though which is impressive (shame about the Sony BDP's jaggy interlaced font though).

@WorldOfHurt - Do you know how thumbnailing works? Does the code fork depending on the renderer? I guess it can't because Windows Media Player thumbnails work and that was released before the BDP-S370. Can you see anything useful for working that out from my Wireshark traces that you already have?

Here's my new renderer config - a work in progress:

Code: Select all
# ps3mediaserver renderer profile for Sony Bluray Disc Players (2010 Bravia Internet Video-enabled models)
# Refer to PS3.conf for help
RendererName=Sony Bluray BDP-Sx70
RendererIcon=sony_bdp.png
UserAgentSearch=UPnP/1.0 DLNADOC/1.50
UserAgentAdditionalHeader=X-AV-Client-Info
UserAgentAdditionalHeaderSearch=(cn="Sony Corporation"; mn="Blu-ray Disc Player")
Video=true
Audio=true
Image=true
SeekByTime=true
TranscodeVideo=MPEGAC3
TranscodeAudio=PCM
DefaultVBVBufSize=true
MuxH264ToMpegTS=true
MuxDTSToMpeg=false
WrapDTSIntoPCM=false
MuxLPCMToMpeg=false
MaxVideoBitrateMbps=0
MaxVideoWidth=0
MaxVideoHeight=0
H264Level41Limited=true
#MimeTypesChanges=video/x-matroska=video/divx|video/mpeg=video/divx|video/x-ms-wmv=video/divx|video/mp4=video/divx
DLNALocalizationRequired=true
#TranscodeExtensions=dvr-ms,dvr,mkv,dv,ty,mov,ogm,hdmov,hdm,rmv,rmvb,rm,asf,evo,asx,flv,m2v,mpe,mod,tivo,ty,tmf,ts,tp,m2p,m4v,wmv,wm,flac,mlp,fla,wma,m4a,aac,dts,mka,ape,ogg,shn,mpc,ra,mp2,wv,oma,aa3,gif,png,arw,cr2,crw,dng,raf,mrw,nef,pef,tif,tiff
#StreamExtensions=mp3,mp4,avi,mpeg

#initial specs taken from http://www.sony.co.uk/product/blu-ray-disc-player/bdp-s370#pageType=TechnicalSpecs
#then fine-tuned by lengthy trial and error since so much of that advertised spec is inaccurate
MediaInfo=true
Supported = f:mpegps|mpegts   v:mpeg1|mpeg2|mp4|h264   a:ac3|dts|dtshd|truehd|aac|lpcm|mpa|mp3   m:video/divx
Supported = f:avi|divx      v:divx|mp4      a:ac3|lpcm|mpa|mp3   m:video/divx
Supported = f:mkv      v:h264       a:ac3|dts|dtshd|truehd|aac|lpcm|mpa|mp3   m:video/divx
Supported = f:mp4|m4v      v:mp4|h264   a:ac3|dts|dtshd|truehd|aac|lpcm|mpa|mp3   m:video/divx
Supported = f:wmv      v:vc1              a:wma          m:video/divx
Supported = f:wma      n:2         m:audio/mpeg
Supported = f:mp3      n:2         m:audio/mpeg
Supported = f:wav      a:ac3|dts|dtshd|truehd|lpcm      m:audio/mpeg
Supported = f:wav      n:2         m:audio/mpeg
Supported = f:jpg               m:image/jpeg

Last edited by patters on Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:13 pm, edited 8 times in total.
patters

Postby Ralph » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:16 pm

not really good how to apply the patch or where. I can change the extention from. Jar for. Zip to see the folders and files and change some settings but not where the patch is applied or executed. If anyone can or wants to give me support will be grateful
Ralph

Postby patters » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:37 pm

You need to compile the project. Read this:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=391

Use the most recent versions of those tools (those download links are broken) - Java JDK, Apache Ant (download the ZIP), Tortoise SVN.

You will need to apply the patch file using the binary from:
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/patch.htm

To apply the patch copy patch.exe and WorldOfHurt's .patch file to the root of the ps3mediaserver folder you got from SVN and run:
patch -p0 < ps3ms-410-content-range.patch

Then compile using the rest of the guide. When you're done you can open up the JAR and insert my icon from earlier in the thread and use my renderer config above.
patters

Postby patters » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:13 pm

I have done a bit more testing on a wired 100Mb connection (so definitely no wifi problems) and I notice that hi def H.264 files that are in m2ts containers play smoothly. However, MP4 M4V and MKV (even DivX-HD samples which the player is certified to play) all stutter within a few seconds. VC-1 plays too, but seems to lock up at the first stutter.These same files work ok off USB (and the same DivX HD Iron Man2 trailer plays fine from Serviio) so it looks like something is not quite right with PS3MS. I lack the technical expertise to investigate, though as before I could provide wireshark traces for comparison. I would expect these issues to be present in the Linux build too though, so WorldOfHurt ought to be able to see this on his setup using my renderer config.
I would guess that perhaps the chunks of the stream aren't quite being fed to the renderer as fast as it wants.

Strange observation - MPEG4 container files cannot be fast forwarded when played via DLNA, but they can be when played off USB. I'll have to do some more checking against Serviio to see if that's fixable. It also seems that it can't play MP3 files that are encoded in Joint Stereo. I have some TV programmes encoded in Joint Stereo which play with music but no voice track (even though it's not separate).

In fact, audio formats that should be supported over DLNA according to Sony (wma, wav) need to have their mime types forced to audio/mpeg or they won't play. They work fine off USB. I cannot get m4a to play at all over DLNA, even overriding the mime type.

UPDATE - I've modded the renderer config above to transcode audio to LPCM rather than MP3 which helps if you want to play FLAC files.
Last edited by patters on Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:14 pm, edited 14 times in total.
patters

Postby patters » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:01 am

On the subject of missing thumbnails I have managed to reassemble some SOAP transaction XML from some packet traces of a working Windows Media Player DLNA server to compare against a non-working PS3MS attempt:
WMP_BDP-S370_thumbn_win.xml
PS3MS_BDP-S370_thumbn_fail.xml
(Right-click and save as some browsers seem to really mess this up)

It looks like Windows Media Player offers up quite a lot more data than PS3MS. I have very little idea what to do, but hopefully it should be pretty clear to somebody.
Last edited by patters on Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
patters

Postby grolschie » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:36 am

Thanks for the patch WorldOfHurt, and thanks Patters for your info. Has anyone managed to get internet tv and radio (mms streams) working on this player yet? I can get mp3 radio streams to work, but not mms as yet. I have tried pmsencoder for video. Thanks in advance.
grolschie

Postby patters » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:29 pm

I've had an idea. Thanks to WorldOfHurt's fix the BDP-S370 now plays HD m2ts streams perfectly, whereas MP4 and mkv are still stuttery.
The BDP won't play HD m2ts streams over DLNA, however it will if their mime type is set to video/divx.
So basically, TSmuxer should allow us to overcome a lot of these limitations, if only it could serve up its remuxed streams with the video/divx mime type. I've had a look but I can't figure out where to set this. Can this be tweaked in the Java, or is it a behaviour of the TSmuxer binary? This thing is so close to being the ultimate media player!
EDIT - I found the bit in the encoders folder in the Java where it specifies the mime type and changed it from video/mpeg to video/divx. It only seemed to change how the file was listed, not how it was played.
patters

Postby grolschie » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:41 am

grolschie wrote:... Has anyone managed to get internet tv and radio (mms streams) working on this player yet? I can get mp3 radio streams to work, but not mms as yet. I have tried pmsencoder for video.

I am still trying to get internet tv and radio (for mms) working. I have tried installing VLC 0.9.6. I have also tried modifying the transcoder settings in net\pms\encoders\VideoLanVideoStreaming.java and recompiling. I have tried various combinations of codec and muxer settings with the .avi mime type. I get an error that the file is corrupt or not supported. I still cannot get a internet tv stream, to stream to the player using PS3MS yet.

Also, when I edited net\pms\encoders\VideoLanAudioStreaming.java so that the output is mp3, the player says "There is no playable file". Any ideas please?
grolschie

Postby grolschie » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:39 am

Another issue I am having is playing transcoded m4a files into mp3 using ffmpeg audio. They play ok, however I find that the sound cuts out before the end of the track. Anyone else have this problem?
grolschie

Postby k.b » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:30 am

Kudos to WorldOfHurt for this patch and patters for his profile and instructions !!! Even as a non-Java person it only took an hour to do end to end and all worked.

I bought the S370 because I liked the PS3 DLNA so much (compared to DLink, NetGear & Streamiums I've had before) and was gutted to find it didn't work with PS3MS. This patch restores my faith in technology, now works perfectly for me (mostly MPEG2 recorded TV + DVDs).

Interestingly the patched PS3MS also worked much better with my Samsung TV (UA37C5000) so this fix really needs to go into the main trunk. Prior to this patch the TV would only play video with Serviio.

Like loads of people here I'd love to see another BETA release soon :-)
k.b

PreviousNext

Return to Alternative Media Renderers