Run PMS as a service

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: Run PMS as a service

Postby coraphise » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:49 am

Understandable; I did a lot of searching trying to figure out how to run this as a service, and saw a lot of repeat information and people not seeming to get it. I was surprised I didn't come across any other alternatives, but that's gotta be me not putting the right search terms in.
coraphise

Postby gremlin » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:38 pm

Hi all

Believe me I've tried searching this site and everywhere else for a solution, so apologies if it has been covered before. I have managed to install PMS as a service in Windows 7 (64), thanks to the instructions that 'railman229' gave. The service is there but when I try to manually start it I get Error 1053 and the spiel about "not responding......timely fashion" etc.. Tried Googling it but no luck!

I just want it to start when I boot up without having to log on, (as I used to with Win XP). What am I doing wrong? The service is logging on as Local System.

I'm not a dunce but I'm certainly not a 'Guru' either, so please don't get too deep!

Love using PMS, so any help would really be appreciated - this is driving me crazy.

Thanks in anticipation!
gremlin

Postby taconaut » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:57 pm

I'd check the pms.log file in the installation directory (give read/write access to Local System if you don't see it in there). You might also find some useful information in the Windows EventLog (Control Panel -> Administrative tools -> Event Viewer -> Applications).
Hope you'll find some information in here that will help you out.

As a side note, it would be good if the logging directories PMS uses would be changed to the ones recommended by m$ in order to have sufficient rights to read/write them anyway
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby gremlin » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:20 pm

Thanks for your reply taconaut. Sorry but you've got me already! Where do I find the pms.log file?

I checked the Windows event log but nothing there for PMS
gremlin

Postby taconaut » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:17 pm

In fact, its called debug.log and you should find it where pms is installed (program files...). As security policies have changed with vista and also Windows 7, pms is probably not allowed to write the log file in there. That's why you have to give read/write access to the local service in this folder.
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby meskibob » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:49 pm

I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby mikehell » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:03 pm

coraphise wrote:I get why people would want to run PS3MS as a service... but why go through all the hassle?

I did some testing on my Windows 2003 Enterprise server, and had moderate success getting it to start all the time.

Then it occurred to me to try running this as a task.

I set this up as a Scheduled Task to run at boot time with the Admin log on, works beautifully. I suggest you check the task settings and make sure you disable things like "Stop this task if it runs for 72 hours". :)

Wouldn't this require the admin user to be logged in? What happens id the admin logs out (as he/she SHOULD do for security reasons)?
mikehell

Postby lanceinjapan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:57 am

devildog93 wrote:no you don't need it in the startup folder the way you did it. But the way I do it is much easier for the average user.

I just type:

"shell:startup" in Start menu
click it, it opens "startup" folder
right-click desktop PMS icon and copy
right-click and paste into "startup" folder

Done.

after several failed attempts at the first procedure, I reverted to this and it worked just fine. Thanks devildog
lanceinjapan

Postby coraphise » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:07 am

@mikeshell

No, the method I setup doesn't require admin to remain logged in. You're just using that account to run the application in place of things like "Local System", "Local Service", "Network Service", etc. Admin never has to log on in order for that task to fire.

I only came up with the idea because at work, we're told to set up our SQL Servers to start under our login credentials; I'll never figure out why, it's a pain in the @$$ when 90 days is up and you have to change you password...

Courtesy of changes in Win7 and Win 2k8 task manager, that may not work either. We've had issues getting other programs to run that way because they gave Windows Scheduler an overhaul.
coraphise

Postby powder21 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:13 am

FLAWLESS VICTORY!

Thanks to original poster. Works great.
powder21

PreviousNext

Return to General Help and Support