Any alternatives to PS3 mediaserver?

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Any alternatives to PS3 mediaserver?

Postby BabYonZ » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:10 pm

Hei

As the development of this software, who I do like and still use, but cant count on anymore, as the development have stopped, Im searching for a good alternative to the PS3 mediaserver, I did use Tversity way back, but it got to difficult and heavy to configure, so I gave up that time...

But are there any good software with same functions?

I use Windows 7, 64bit, on all machines...
BabYonZ

Re: Any alternatives to PS3 mediaserver?

Postby meskibob » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:17 pm

Good luck finding one.... ;)
And, development isn't dead, just on a slight break - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7279
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby WorldOfHurt » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:17 pm

Strange place to post this particular question... since I assume most people posting here are doing so because they use PS3MS, and by implication think it is the best DLNA server?

I guess we'll see.

I have personally never found a viable free alternative which works effectively with PS3.
WorldOfHurt

Postby BabYonZ » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:43 am

WorldOfHurt wrote:Strange place to post this particular question... since I assume most people posting here are doing so because they use PS3MS, and by implication think it is the best DLNA server?

I guess we'll see.

I have personally never found a viable free alternative which works effectively with PS3.

Strange place... well... when you start using such software, made on hobby basis, and in the beginning, you use it as is... it crash you dont care so much, just reboot the machines and it works for few days... no problems... but after while, when the software are more and less stable and you start to count on it, at it works, then you do get worry if the developments stops up, ofcourse I like this software, and I got a link to announcement from the developer at he was still a live, so it may just turn out to be OK, it just make people like me stressed when we do not see any movement on the development front for long time...
BabYonZ

Postby BabYonZ » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:44 am

meskibob wrote:Good luck finding one.... ;)
And, development isn't dead, just on a slight break - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7279

Thanks for the link, nice to see at he is a live... :)
BabYonZ

Postby salesman » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:24 am

Indeed, an alternative would be nice. The program works amazing for as little development it has seen in the recent year. It's hard to imagine where it could be if it had a team of devoted coders working on it. With that said, I fully understand why the current developer cannot devote his time to such trivial matters...after all, it is just a media server and a free service at that.

Unfortunately, it's still the easiest and best one I've been able to find. It supports subtitles (a film aficionado like myself, is a must) and is not intrusive or a resource hog like other alternatives. Sadly, as java, sony, and windows go through countless updates this program seems to become less reliable. I really wish this wasn't the fact, but if anyone seems to have a viable alternative I'm listening.
salesman

Postby passatcar » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:58 pm

hi, just wondering if n e 1 has tried the alternative that is known as "orb.com". just google it. its very much the same thing. :D
passatcar

Postby dissidence » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:53 am

when it comes to orb i have had allot of mixed results with it, when it works good it works, but i find it is allot more limiting than ps3 media server, though has one guy said if a rock had an ip address i think you orb would stream to it. i like it and i use it, but it is not perfect for my needs, has me and my wife watch allot of anime and J drama and they all seem to have a knack to encode to what ever setting that make it so that i can next to never get sub titles to work on the ps3 no matter what the program.

i desperately do not want to see this project die, and allot of people on here i think have the same wish. i do wish that it would be forked so that there would be at least something good come out of here. if he is too busy or dose not wish to keep it up any more please oh please let some one else or a group of people take over so that it can progress, i dont want to say it, but it is starting to feel like it is going stale, it needs attention.

i will donate money to this project has soon has i see something get done and i will urge other to do the same too, but i do need to know that who i am going to donate money too will continue to support the project that i am donating too.

but i do hope that i get proven wrong here soon.
dissidence

Postby Gothmoth » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:50 pm

i would be interested in other media servers too.

PS3MS seems to be unable to play 1280x5xx MKV files in the correct aspect ratio on my sony bravia LCD.

im searching up and low but all the tipps with the "-vf expand" command do not work for me. :(
Gothmoth

Postby devildog93 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:27 am

Have fun with other media servers.
Just tried Orb. That's 2 hours of my life I will never get back. What a waste of time.
devildog93

Next

Return to General Discussion