[HowTo] Ubuntu 8.10 SVN PMS & Multithread

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: [HowTo] Ubuntu 8.10 SVN PMS & Multithread

Postby jacktin » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:57 pm

vmlinuz:

Would it be possible for you to create packages of your compiled code for x264, ffmpeg (mt), and mencoder using 'checkinstall' and post them here? Either 32-bit or 64-bit - doesn't matter.

I'm at my wits end trying to get 1080p video to transcode fast enough to do it on-the-fly. There's gotta be something that I'm missing but I don't know whether it's my O/S, my machine or the builds of these packages that are causing the problem. As per my previous post, the threads are always bound to a single core (I've verified this) so I'm basically only using half the machine to transcode.

If you have this working as you say then I should be able to use your binaries to get the same result. If I still have problems then at least I know that the problem lies elsewhere.

Thanks in advance.
jacktin

Postby moreje » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:06 pm

Hi,
I followed all the HOWTO.... but can't get PMS activate multithread (the box is still gray)
I m not an expert in compilation, etc.... but I think I had a problem when compiling ffmpeg_mt. the command line ended with:

gcc -DHAVE_AV_CONFIG_H -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -I. -I"/usr/src/ffmpeg-mt" -D_ISOC99_SOURCE -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=200112 -std=c99 -fomit-frame-pointer -g -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wall -Wno-switch -Wdisabled-optimization -Wpointer-arith -Wredundant-decls -Wno-pointer-sign -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings -Wtype-limits -Wundef -O3 -fno-math-errno -fno-signed-zeros -c -o libavcodec/mdct.o libavcodec/mdct.c
make: *** Pas de règle pour fabriquer la cible « libswscale/swscale.h », nécessaire pour « libavcodec/imgresample.o ». Arrêt.

any ideas?
thanks for your help
moreje

Postby localhost » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:43 pm

moreje wrote:Hi,
I followed all the HOWTO.... but can't get PMS activate multithread (the box is still gray)
I m not an expert in compilation, etc.... but I think I had a problem when compiling ffmpeg_mt. the command line ended with:

gcc -DHAVE_AV_CONFIG_H -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -I. -I"/usr/src/ffmpeg-mt" -D_ISOC99_SOURCE -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=200112 -std=c99 -fomit-frame-pointer -g -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wall -Wno-switch -Wdisabled-optimization -Wpointer-arith -Wredundant-decls -Wno-pointer-sign -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings -Wtype-limits -Wundef -O3 -fno-math-errno -fno-signed-zeros -c -o libavcodec/mdct.o libavcodec/mdct.c
make: *** Pas de règle pour fabriquer la cible « libswscale/swscale.h », nécessaire pour « libavcodec/imgresample.o ». Arrêt.

I noticed that the HOWTO doesn't work properly. I believe that when you checkout ffmpeg_mt now, it already checks out an libswscale directory, which makes the next part of the tutorial (checking out libswscale specifically) not work. I removed the libswscale directory and then proceeded with checking out and compilint libswscale and that worked.
localhost

Postby wonslung » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:53 am

i followed this guide awhile back...i was curious...once you have it all up and working can you remove all the tons of packages we installed to get it working?
Code: Select all
em8300-headers gawk gettext html2text intltool-debian ladspa-sdk libaa1-dev libartsc0 libartsc0-dev libasound2-dev libatk1.0-dev libaudio-dev libaudio2 libaudiofile-dev libavahi-client-dev libavahi-common-dev libcaca-dev libcairo2-dev libcdparanoia0-dev libcucul-dev libdbus-1-dev libdbus-glib-1-dev libdirectfb-dev libdirectfb-extra libdts-dev libdv4-dev libenca-dev libenca0 libesd0-dev libexpat1-dev libfaac-dev libfaac0 libfontconfig1-dev libfreebob0 libfreetype6-dev libfribidi-dev libggi-target-x libggi2 libggi2-dev libggimisc2 libggimisc2-dev libgif-dev libgii1 libgii1-dev libgii1-target-x libgl1-mesa-dev libglib2.0-dev libglide3 libglu1-mesa-dev libglu1-xorg-dev libgtk2.0-dev libice-dev libjack-dev libjack0 libjpeg62-dev liblzo-dev liblzo1 liblzo2-2 liblzo2-dev libmad0 libmad0-dev libmail-sendmail-perl libmp3lame-dev libmp3lame0 libmpcdec-dev libmpcdec3 libncurses5-dev libogg-dev libopenal-dev libopenal1 libpango1.0-dev libpixman-1-dev libpng12-dev libpopt-dev libpthread-stubs0 libpthread-stubs0-dev libpulse-dev libpulse-mainloop-glib0 libsdl1.2-dev libslang2-dev libsm-dev libsmbclient-dev libspeex-dev libsvga1 libsvga1-dev libsys-hostname-long-perl libsysfs-dev libtheora-dev libtwolame-dev libtwolame0 libvorbis-dev libx11-dev libxau-dev libxcb-render-util0-dev libxcb-render0-dev libxcb-xlib0-dev libxcb1-dev libxcomposite-dev libxcursor-dev libxdamage-dev libxdmcp-dev libxext-dev libxfixes-dev libxft-dev libxi-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libxt-dev libxv-dev libxvidcore4 libxvidcore4-dev libxvmc-dev libxvmc1 libxxf86dga-dev libxxf86vm-dev mesa-common-dev po-debconf sharutils x11proto-composite-dev x11proto-core-dev x11proto-damage-dev x11proto-fixes-dev x11proto-input-dev x11proto-kb-dev x11proto-randr-dev x11proto-render-dev x11proto-video-dev x11proto-xext-dev x11proto-xf86dga-dev x11proto-xf86vidmode-dev x11proto-xinerama-dev xtrans-dev zlib1g-dev libschroedinger-dev libstdc++5 libfaad-dev libgsm1-dev libdc1394-22-dev libfaad-dev libsdl1.2-dev
wonslung

Postby Topguy » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:07 pm

wonslung wrote:i followed this guide awhile back...i was curious...once you have it all up and working can you remove all the tons of packages we installed to get it working?

Not all.. the headerfiles you needed to build is in the xxxx-dev packages so they you can in theory remove. The other packages will most likely contain the libraries themselves and those you will probably need.
Topguy

Postby wonslung » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:28 pm

so i can delete any of them ending in -dev?
wonslung

Postby Topguy » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:04 pm

wonslung wrote:so i can delete any of them ending in -dev?

Mody likely, but I dont think you will save very much diskspace.
Topguy

Postby wonslung » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:15 pm

oh well then, it just seemed like a huge ammount of packages...i'll just leave them alone i guess
wonslung

Postby WesleyWex » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:45 pm

When I try to configure mplayer, I get this:
root@Jupiter:/usr/src/mplayer# ./configure
Detected operating system: Linux
Detected host architecture: i386
Segmentation fault

What the hell does this mean?
WesleyWex

Postby Topguy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:23 pm

WesleyWex wrote:When I try to configure mplayer, I get this:
root@Jupiter:/usr/src/mplayer# ./configure
Detected operating system: Linux
Detected host architecture: i386
Segmentation fault

What the hell does this mean?

It means that one of the programs the "configure" script tried to run actually crashed. You might be able to find which program it is by checking "config.log" file that should have been generated.
Topguy

PreviousNext

Return to Linux/Unix Support