Parental Control Plugin

Discuss third-party additions, plugins and translations for PS3 Media Server

Re: Parental Control

Postby lowlight » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:14 pm

This is Very cool. I've got a little one that soon enough will learn how to use the TV and remote and I'd like to have some Parental Controls on PMS. I too would like to see a folder level block that wouldn't require me to add file after file to the .ini file. Since I'm on a linux box I've been creating directories for a "theme/rating" and then creating symlinks in that to the files in my "All" directory. Being able to put a lock on everything other than the "Kids" dir would be nice. I also couldn't tell from the docs/demo if you can have different unlock codes for each rating level. That way you can leave the G rated movies unlocked for the little kids, and give your 10 year old the key for the PG rated stuff and your 14 year old for the PG-13 and below while retaining the key for the R rated stuff and above for yourself.

Another tweak to this would be to auto lock everything again after a certain (configurable) length of time has passed since the server stopped streaming. That way if you're up late watching an R rated movie and forget to re-lock everything, your kids can't get into it all when they get up in the morning.
PMS running on: P4 3.06GHz HT, 2GB RAM, ~3TB disk, Fedora 10
lowlight

Postby zomgheals » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:14 am

I have alot of problems with this release and playing movies / shows with external subtitles, seems to stop playing and crash at around 2 minutes and 45 seconds or so. only for external subs (i think at least?)
zomgheals

Postby ramses » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:48 pm

This is not a problem of the "plugin". Try the updated version. It is bases on svn version 405.
ramses

Postby ramses » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:02 pm

Hexperience wrote:
traffiq wrote:Im excited ;)

maybe it would be a nice feature to query imdb for movie rating.

So you could lock everything that not suitable for person under a certain "age".

For example lock all movies that are rated R or X.

Even more simple, lock by folder. I have folders just for kids movies and folders for everything else. It would be great to just lock at the folder level. But I'm really happy to get a chance to play with this! Locking by file is fine too...

I'm not too bad with Perl scripting so I might be able to make a little script to lock all the files based on an Internet look up. I certainly can make a script to create a basic control .ini for each file in a folder. Just edit the script a bit then run it on the next folder.

I'll post the perl script here if that's ok?

With the latest version you can put a file called "folder.ini" in the folder to lock the complete folder.
ramses

Postby Redlum » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:55 am

Very cool :)
Redlum
Project Member

Postby kosmo90 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:16 pm

Sorry for digging up an old thread but ivé just tried making a .ini file and it stays as a .ini .text file (windows 7)
Any ideas
Thanks
kosmo90

Postby Silvos » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:56 pm

Hi ramses,

Are your changes in the current beta build? If so it does not seem to work, has the implementation documentation changed between then and now?

If your changes are not in the current beta build could you supply a new link? The link in the original post does not work for me!

Thanks!
Silvos

Postby ramses » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:38 am

Silvos wrote:Hi ramses,

Are your changes in the current beta build? If so it does not seem to work, has the implementation documentation changed between then and now?

If your changes are not in the current beta build could you supply a new link? The link in the original post does not work for me!

Thanks!

No, my changes aren't in the current beta build. This plugin is currently a proof of concept version. There are some untested modifications. But there is a new build with the current beta build of PS3 Media Server. I've changed the download link (see top of thread)
ramses

Re: lock out user

Postby timman » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:36 am

Do you have any instructions how to use the new plugin please?
timman

Re: Parental Control Plugin

Postby JonnyManiac » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:10 am

This looks just like the sort of thing I've been looking for but I like to keep on top of the latest beta builds from SubJunk. Does this actually work as a plug-in or does it depend on a custom build of the server software?
JonnyManiac

PreviousNext

Return to Additions and Plugins