No sound on newer MKV files?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: No sound on newer MKV files?

Postby Gareee » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:45 am

I'm wondering if those new mplayer files are working 100%. I found a number of avi files that play fine on the pc, but will not play streaming now. I converted one to a mkv as a test, and that mkv works fine both locally and streaming.

Not a great tradeoff playing mkv files if it breaks avi playback.
Gareee

Postby jppp » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:58 pm

I get as far as running mkwdcleaner in DOS, but it says 'could not open file "xxxxx" for reading' ... and actually, above that, it first says something like "please fix your player instead of valid matroska files"

My prompt says C:\mkclean

from there, I type in (lets call the mkv file I'm trying to clean 'jp.movie'.

C:\mkclean>mkwdclean jp.movie

Am I skipping info? I haven't used DOS since the mid 90's, so I'm a bit rusty. ; -)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT:

Answered my own question... I tried about every variation I could think of, and finally got it to work like this:

I moved the video file into the mkclean folder in the C:root.

Then typed in this:

C:/mkclean>mkwdclean c:\mkclean\jp.movie.mkv

Hope that helps anyone who's a DOS novice like me. I'd suggest renaming the video file into something small and workable, to avoid typos.
Last edited by jppp on Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jppp

Postby Diego Joker » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:34 pm

please u can tell me witch newer movies have this problem (cinavia)?
Diego Joker

Postby Gareee » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:32 pm

Almost everything in mkv format. Far too numerous to even hope to mention. That includes any new mkv posts after probably the end of June.
Gareee

Postby jppp » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:48 pm

Nuts...

Like I mentioned above, I got the mkwdcleaner to work and clean the mkv file... but when I go to play it in PMS, I get the same problem... video, but no audio.

That goes for all the other transcodes too, none of the options work.
jppp

Postby Diego Joker » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:13 pm

Gareee wrote:Almost everything in mkv format. Far too numerous to even hope to mention. That includes any new mkv posts after probably the end of June.

i tested Insomnia and Clash of the Titans and no have the cinavia problem, and i will test Kick Ass and Green Zone 720p i dont think these two have the problem
Diego Joker

Postby Gareee » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:54 pm

I don't think this is at all related to cinavia issues. If you read through the thread, its a new version of the mkv encoder that has toggled on by defauly a legacy option that no one was using at all, and which causes playback issues.
Gareee

Postby devildog93 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:33 am

Gareee wrote:I don't think this is at all related to cinavia issues. If you read through the thread, its a new version of the mkv encoder that has toggled on by defauly a legacy option that no one was using at all, and which causes playback issues.

I agree. Cinavia has only, truly reared it's ugly head in one movie.....The Losers.

All other audio related problems recently have been due to something changing in the way they are muxxed.
Generally, that problem has been a symptom of MKVToolnix v. 4.1 and on ( not positive which version it started with for sure)

The fixes right now, are hit or miss. I have had success with Repo Men by remuxxing with MkVToolnix v.3.3.0

I have had success with the MKClean on a few files, and have had success with other files by using Popcorn MKV audio convertor, and with AviMux GUI.

Even after the successes I have had, I still cannot put a definitive, all-in-one solution together. I suggest people have an array of MKV tools in their collection, and try suggestions laid out in a few of the topics on this forum.

Again:

MKVToolnix v.3.3.0 (does not have compression header issue) w/ MKVExtract GUI ( so you can extract streams, then do what you wish with them)
Popcorn MKV Audio Converter (requires many external apps, but useful)
MKClean
AviMux GUI

Also, I use:
tsMuxer GUI (remux extracted streams, if compliant, into m2ts container, AVCHD, or BLU-Ray disc format)
Foobar 2000 w/ DTS decoder and converter
YAMB (to remux extracted streams, if compliant, into mp4 container)
MKV2AVI ( self-explanatory )
WAV to AC3 encoder (use with Foobar 2000 after converting DTS to WAV, then use it to convert WAV to AC3)
devildog93

Postby Gareee » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:53 am

I had 100% success with mkcleaner, and as previously mentioned, some issues playing avi files with the new mplayer files that were posted here.

Converting the avi files to mkv files has had a 100% success ratio so far, but obviously having to convert things that will already play locally just adds more wasted time.
Gareee

Postby devildog93 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:36 am

The best solution I have found, is finding sources that don't have this problem, and sticking with them.
In fact, when I search for movies, I search for my sources, then browse their available uploads.
devildog93

PreviousNext

Return to General Help and Support