No sound on newer MKV files?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: No sound on newer MKV files?

Postby denial512 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:08 pm

Sorry. Yes.. mkvtoolnix/mkvmerge did not work.
denial512

Postby Cyberz » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:56 pm

I still can't get any sound on new mkv files...

anything new?
Cyberz

Postby denial512 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:19 pm

Cyberz wrote:I still can't get any sound on new mkv files...

anything new?

You try mkvWDClean? Worked on all of mine.
denial512

Postby Gareee » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:37 pm

Yep.. on newer mkv posts, you need to run them through mkvwdclean as previously mentioned first.

I wish someone had written a simple gui interface for that instead of having to type everything out in dark ages dos commands.. LOL!
'
Gareee

Postby quepaso » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:42 pm

I have no problems with audio, i do however have a lot of flicks that do not allow Go To function anymore.. works fine on all my older movies, but new ones just go back to the beginning or reset themselves..
quepaso

Postby denial512 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:12 pm

quepaso wrote:I have no problems with audio, i do however have a lot of flicks that do not allow Go To function anymore.. works fine on all my older movies, but new ones just go back to the beginning or reset themselves..

Maybe related? Someone should create a matrix of container/video/audio codec vs. working features.

I can fastforward some filetypes, but not others, and some 1.5x, and some 10x. Some I can Go To (by time).. some I can use the interval jumps. The functionality seems related to the file type.
denial512

Postby mboi » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:23 pm

SirReal wrote:The problem seems to be a "bug" in MEncoder. I just replaced MEncoder.exe and it's associated folders with a newer version and audio is working fine now. Not sure yet if this will create new problems but everything is working fine so far.

I found MEncoder here: http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php

This seems to have worked for me so far.
mboi

Postby fableman » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:57 pm

Summery.

Problem: mkv files with no sound have header compression turned ON, or they have cinavien protection (only one file soo far the loosers)

Solution: To remove header compression you need to use mkvmerge and turn off compresstion and remux the file.

Real problem is that no one is working on this software at the moment, everyone with a ps3 need to do a manual remuxing before using this tool.

Soo will ps3 media server get a fix for the header compression or we need to wait for sony firmware update ps3 to handle header compression ?

Feels its time to build a HTPC soon :(

Sorry bad spellings but Iam more dead then alive writing this :)
fableman

Postby Gareee » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:01 pm

A sony update wouldn't help, since it does not play mkv files, and all the trascoding is being done on the pc, not on the ps3.

Using cleaner only takes a minute for a 2 hour long movie, but it would be nice if an automated way to circumvent this was found, or if an update was released for mkv, so new files are not encoded like this.

I wonder if the developers that released this updated mkv encoder realise how many people have been affected by this issue?
Gareee

Postby fableman » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:29 pm

Soo what program need to be fixed then?

ps3 media server work with these programs.

ffmpeg ?
mencoder ?
mplayer ?
mencoder_mt ?
ts_MuxeR ?
dcrawMS ?
flac ?

who of these programs don't handle header compression, and who to wait for to fix it ? ...or is it already fixed and onyl need to be copy pasted into ps3 media server location ?
fableman

PreviousNext

Return to General Help and Support